Looking to loose weight!!!

Erazor786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right then, went to the Doc's recently and I've always been told to watch the weight but never told explicitly to loose weight.

I'm 21 yrs old and circa 16 stones. I've always been on the chubby side ever since 10-11 yrs old but have always remained active. Always been an avid sports fan - I play football twice a week and as a youngster played pretty much everything and anything.

Anyway, I digress. The reason I went to the docs was because of niggling injuries near the groin area which never went away and more recently a knee injury which he said was just a strain and nothing serious. However, he did attribute it to my weight and said that if I didn't start taking notice and change my ways I'll be heading for problems 5-10 yrs down the line.

I'm 5 ft 9 and as stated near enough 16 stones (it fluctuates here and there).

I'm quite an active person, I walk near enough 3-4 miles a day and as said before play footy twice on the friday.

I do smoke and am trying to quit but I've had the realisation that it might be a better idea to tackle one problem at a time.

I attribute my weight problems to my diet. I'm Asian so the cuisine I eat at home is mostly curries and on the occasion a takeway. I don't eat breakfast, just have a cup of tea and a Benson and that's me done. Some days I won't eat anything all day until the evening when we have dinner. I've tried cutting down the snacking in-between and trying to eat more fruit.

I know the only way you can loose weight, is to burn more calories than you eat. I'm trying to start jogging 3 times a week initially and will increase that to 4 and maybe 5 depending on how it goes. And also looking to slowly phase out my current diet and start eating more healthy foods and smaller meals but more frequently, spread out during the day, trying to increase my metabolism.

Just wanted the help/advice from the helpful and very knowledgeable individuals here.

Thanks for reading and input is appreciated.

:)

1st thing - EAT BREAKFAST!! lol

By eating breakfast you kickstart your body into getting your metabolism going, thus burning calories.

I dropped my routine which I had stuck to for 3 months and the weight has piled back on, but I found by regular exersice early in the morning and a light breakfast I lost a lot of weight. I also cut out drinking alcohol as the weekends I was finding I was adding the weight back but in fluid!

1st thing - EAT BREAKFAST!! lol

By eating breakfast you kickstart your body into getting your metabolism going, thus burning calories.

I dropped my routine which I had stuck to for 3 months and the weight has piled back on, but I found by regular exersice early in the morning and a light breakfast I lost a lot of weight. I also cut out drinking alcohol as the weekends I was finding I was adding the weight back but in fluid!

Yup, I know. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Thing is it is difficult to change a habit which I've had for over 10yrs. Alcohol is not a problem for me as I don't drink, however, I have stopped drinking fizzy drinks as I'm told they increase your weight as well.

It doesn't matter that much what you have for breakfast as long as it is something. Your body is catabolic after sleeping, it could be using muscle tissue for energy, it might be using fat as well but it depends on what you are doing.

Just have a glass of milk or something.

Eating several (more than what you do now) smaller meals per day can speed your metabolism up. Try to lay off the carbohydrates later in the day, you are better off eating them earlier in the day.

Make sure you get enough 'good fats' like Omega3/6 as found in nuts, seeds and some oils.

Keep a record of what and how much you eat in a week and then you can work out how much carbohydrate, protein and fat you eat daily (your macro diet). Some people put fat on easier than others with carbohydrates.

Anything with refined sugars will pile the weight on most people, try to cut down on anything refined. No white bread!

Has the doctor checked your Thyroid hormones?

It doesn't matter that much what you have for breakfast as long as it is something. Your body is catabolic after sleeping, it could be using muscle tissue for energy, it might be using fat as well but it depends on what you are doing.

Just have a glass of milk or something.

Eating several (more than what you do now) smaller meals per day can speed your metabolism up. Try to lay off the carbohydrates later in the day, you are better off eating them earlier in the day.

Make sure you get enough 'good fats' like Omega3/6 as found in nuts, seeds and some oils.

Keep a record of what and how much you eat in a week and then you can work out how much carbohydrate, protein and fat you eat daily (your macro diet). Some people put fat on easier than others with carbohydrates.

Anything with refined sugars will pile the weight on most people, try to cut down on anything refined. No white bread!

Has the doctor checked your Thyroid hormones?

Thanks for that. After doing a bit of reading I did realise that smaller and more frequent meals during the day will help increase my metabolism.

The doctor has not checked my Thyroid hormones. Is it cause for concern or is something not too serious?

Your thyroid gland controls your metabolism, if it doesn't secrete enough of the hormone T4 you will put weight on easily.

Due to your age and lack of other symptoms the doctor might not have thought it necessary. I just thought they might have done a metabolic panel of tests.

Definitely try frequent small meals though.

Your thyroid gland controls your metabolism, if it doesn't secrete enough of the hormone T4 you will put weight on easily.

Due to your age and lack of other symptoms the doctor might not have thought it necessary. I just thought they might have done a metabolic panel of tests.

Definitely try frequent small meals though.

Ok thanks for that. I'll ask the doc to do a metabolic panel. I am supposed to be due in for a Blood test if the surgery can find the document the Doc signed which detailed all the info and test that need to be done. That's for another thread entirely.

Any other advice you can give, or anyone else for that matter. Anyone who has found certain techniques or a regime that worked for them, I'd appreciate your help/advice

Increase your jogging to 5 times a week eat your dinner before 8:00 pm (less rice) :)

Increase your jogging to 5 times a week eat your dinner before 8:00 pm (less rice) :)

Thanks for the input mate. I'm currently running a mile when I jog. I'm thinking is it beneficial to increase the length or frequency that I run? ie. 1.5 miles 3 x a week or a mile 5 x times a week.

Long grain brown rice is better than white ;). Lower in the GI.

It's beneficial you lose more fats, i used to jog 1 mile 3 x week now 3 miles 5 x a week for more than two years now and my weight dropped from 12 stones to 11. My target is 10 but that might be happen after christmas

If your worried about your knee acting up id cut out the jogging and go on a cross trainer. think about it your 16st and jogging every time you jog your putting all that body weight on one knee repetitively with the cross trainer theirs no impact on your joints.... Do some small weights aswell the more lean muscle you have the more fat you burn.

If your worried about your knee acting up id cut out the jogging and go on a cross trainer. think about it your 16st and jogging every time you jog your putting all that body weight on one knee repetitively with the cross trainer theirs no impact on your joints.... Do some small weights aswell the more lean muscle you have the more fat you burn.

Thanks for the input mate. My knee is okay at the moment. I think the Doc's diagnosis was spot on, slight strain.

I strap it up when I play footy, and when I jog. Also apply some deep heat rub seems to have helped a lot.

I'm going to get back in the gym hopefully in the next 2 months. I'm a student so just trying to sort my finance's out. Just got a job as well on the weekends so kind of thrown a spanner in the works. Just more adjusting going on rather than training.

Thanks to all for the input.

I'll post back in the next week or so and let you know how I'm getting on.

:)

Think you need to be honest with yourself about what you are eating and how much you are eating!

Sugar puts the weight on, carbs put the wieght on. So, you need to get in the habbit of drinking water instead of pop. It helps if you looks at them and think, do I really want to be putting all these chemicals and sugar into my body?

Do you eat chrips, biscutes, sugar in your tea, etc... Remember you have to be honest with yourself.

What's going into the currys? Ghee? How much ghee? We all know ghee makes a nicer curry, and the more ghee or oil you put in the smoother the curry is. How much salt you putting in. I know in Indian cooking salt is more a spice than seasoning, but just put enough in to make the spices pop. Too much salt is bad for you anyway, but it causes water retention, just adds weight.

So try using less salt, and I find that olive oil in Indian food works well, not so good in Chinese type cooking, but Indian style, works great I tihnk and it really good for you so can add a bit more without feeling too guilty.

Remember, be honest with yourself and don't kid yourself. Might be a pain in the arse making these changes first off - we all know that, it's no secret, but as people on here will tell you, once you go through the barrier, your new healthy choices become habbit, replacing your old unhealthy habits.

Cut down on your portions. After a few weeks your stomac will shirnk and you will naturally only want to eat smaller meals. It will be impossible to eat large portions without feeling ill or sick...

Think you need to be honest with yourself about what you are eating and how much you are eating!

Sugar puts the weight on, carbs put the wieght on. So, you need to get in the habbit of drinking water instead of pop. It helps if you looks at them and think, do I really want to be putting all these chemicals and sugar into my body?

Do you eat chrips, biscutes, sugar in your tea, etc... Remember you have to be honest with yourself.

What's going into the currys? Ghee? How much ghee? We all know ghee makes a nicer curry, and the more ghee or oil you put in the smoother the curry is. How much salt you putting in. I know in Indian cooking salt is more a spice than seasoning, but just put enough in to make the spices pop. Too much salt is bad for you anyway, but it causes water retention, just adds weight.

So try using less salt, and I find that olive oil in Indian food works well, not so good in Chinese type cooking, but Indian style, works great I tihnk and it really good for you so can add a bit more without feeling too guilty.

Remember, be honest with yourself and don't kid yourself. Might be a pain in the arse making these changes first off - we all know that, it's no secret, but as people on here will tell you, once you go through the barrier, your new healthy choices become habbit, replacing your old unhealthy habits.

Cut down on your portions. After a few weeks your stomac will shirnk and you will naturally only want to eat smaller meals. It will be impossible to eat large portions without feeling ill or sick...

Great post mate. I have been honest with myself (I think.. :)). I've stopped drinking fizzy drinks completely. I've slowly increased the amount of water I drink, substituting for the craving of a fizzy drink.

I don't eat biscuits with my tea, just simply a cup of tea for breakfast (and a cig) I've also reduced the sugar that I put in my tea from 2 spoons to 1 and a half.

With regards to the Indian cuisine, we don't put ghee in our currys and personally, I've never eat much ghee anyway. I've always used Olive oil and Sunflower oil when cooking. I'll agree I'm guilty of using too much salt, love lots of salt on my food, which is really bad and is definitely one thing that I have to tackle.

I think all in all I am heading in the right direction but there is still a lot of changes that need to be made in my diet to achieve the goal I've set out to achieve.

In my view I think the problem is the times I eat and what I choose to eat. Need to start eating smaller and more regular meals. Cut down on the salt. Start having a decent Breakfast to kick start the metabolism (thanks Earwig). Start exercising a bit more as well to aid the fat shredding. Nothing to strenuous but definitely challenging.

Back