Looking for a media player

it is as satisfying as getting your first cable box to clear channels back in the day.

wiiman, you know you can use xbmcfreaks built in sabnzbd server to download stuff directly in its automated glory to the xbmc folder? I use an android app to que the nzbs

no i didn't know that hawkish, that sounds interesting!!!!! I use windows for other things too so i won't get rid of it totally, but i'll definately have a look into this, i have an htc hero on which i already use xbmc remote.

I'm looking to upgrade my WDTV v2 if anyone can make any suggestions.

Would really like web services, like youtube etc and possibility of linking an Ipod 4G. The ixtreamer looks the business but it's too early to know whether it will deliver the goods.

I'm looking to upgrade my WDTV v2 if anyone can make any suggestions.

Would really like web services, like youtube etc and possibility of linking an Ipod 4G. The ixtreamer looks the business but it's too early to know whether it will deliver the goods.

What's your budget ?

A revo would definately be able to do everything you are thinking of doing plus a whole lot more.

About £200

I'd prefer a standalone device rather than somethng PC based

200 is about the price of a revo.

Aside from lower maintanance overhead (and you are supporting a PC anyway), I can't think think of too many reasons for a going for a standalone.

revo is worth it. The basic features on a revo are infinatly better than an all in one type. Not to mention servicability

Otherwise I would keep an ear out for hijacks review of this new xtreamer over at MPCclub. If you are going to get a proper professional review that is the place

Unless of course any of you kind readers would care to do a little review of your chosen boxes in the DW AV section. ;)

I've dabbled with popcorn hour and Asus O!player before moving on to the revo, have to say neither of the other 2 come near the revo with XBMC.

Well worth the £200, also you don't need to have on display (mines hidden away in the TV cabinet) as it has wireless remote or I got a MCE remote with a usb infra receiver which works with the harmony remotes.

Quick update. Found a better version of the Cyclone HD player from the same company, the HD2. This is well worth it I think. It has built in card reader and Wireless N with the optional usb dongle. It even has file transfer between connected devices and the internal drive (which isn't available on the previous model).

I found it quite cheap on Amazon :)

What do you think of it? http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/productinfo/cyclonehd2/cyclonemhd2.asp

I bought one of these: Sumvision Cylone HD2 MKV RECORDER: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Below are my points for consideration:

Looks good
Hard drive needs to be formatted in the box before you can use certain features
No youtube streaming
No BBC iPlayer streaming
Plays virtually any media file
External connected drives have to be in FAT32 format otherwise you cannot copy over using the menu system (you have to connect the box to a computer using USB and it will show up as a USB drive then you can use the other external drive and copy from one to the other)
Noticed that the remote requires precise aiming, could be batteries but i've not had it that long to have worn out batteries
In folders where there are so many files that you have to scroll down, you have to scroll file by file, no way of scrolling page by page which can be really annoying if you have lots of files and mixed with the remote aim issue
Picks up all freeview channels
When connected aerial to the tv via the hd2 box, the tv could not pick up any freeview channels....very strange!!
To get any any support, you are directed to avforums by the seller and they tell you that sumvision's dev team are on there and that's the best place to request features and look for firmware upgrade

Thanks for letting me know what you ended up buying Pimped, after reading your post I did some more digging and have now decided to buy the A C Ryan ACR-PV73200 from Microdirect. For £75 you can't go wrong, so I will be picking it up on Saturday and giving my full review in good time. I did originally consider the Sumvision range of streamers, but they are all going to be replaced soon and there is very little U.K. stock for most of the current model range plus the issues about scrolling through pages and pages of files I decided to give it a miss. I also managed to get a 3.5" External Closure for a spare 500GB HDD I had lying about for £15 so overall it's cost me less than £100 and I can stream HD content and it's a fond farewell to my old Xbox with XBMC.

Regards

Liam

Nice one mate. Will look forward to your review :)

Back