Looking for a good vacuum

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We are looking at getting a new 'hoover'/vacuum cleaner.

We currently have a very old yellow Dyson DC01. It has been good but can be a bit heavy to run up and downstairs with. Also now we have laminate/lino in most rooms apart from the stairs and bedroom it doesn't pick up as well on the hard floors compared to carpet.

Preferably looking for a good suck and an upright, however have heard so many people rave about the Henry cylinder hoovers, just a bit awkward for doing the stairs.

What would you recommend?:err:

Dyson DC25 Ball, but you will need the all floors version which will pick up on hard floors.
I have the animal version and it really is easy & light to use.
WE had a DC04 before and what an improvement in power & suction.
Now comes with a 5 year warranty as standard.
Just make sure you shop around as the prices vary alot.
we bought ours from Comet with £100 off in the sale.

Those Henry things are over priced garbage.

Most Hoovers start off great then gradually loose suction, most of my floors are hardwood now, so I don't really need a great Hoover, I reckon mine cost about £110 IIRC.

Most I'd probably pay is around £200.

Most I'd probably pay is around £200.

Fook that.

Ours was £65. It's a Panasonic upright, 1900w and looks like a storm trooper.

At the end of the day it's only for sucking up dust.

I've fallen for all that bagless, cylonic, no loss of suction shite before lol.

Fook that.

Ours was £65. It's a Panasonic upright, 1900w and looks like a storm trooper.

At the end of the day it's only for sucking up dust.

I've fallen for all that bagless, cylonic, no loss of suction shite before lol.

I prefer the bagless ones TBH.

My MIL (Mother In Law) has an old thing from the 60's that is still going strong, it's a genuine upright 'Hoover'.

Fooking hell, LISTEN TO US!

Chatting about Hoovers, ffs, what are we coming to.

Cannot fault the Henry at all. I think there superb!!
My dad and brother have one as well...and some of my mates have started getting them. Not heard anyone complain about them....well apart from the name lol

Cannot fault the Henry at all. I think there superb!!
My dad and brother have one as well...and some of my mates have started getting them. Not heard anyone complain about them....well apart from the name lol

I had one many years ago and hated it, it had poor suction and broke after a year or two. My Mum bought one even though I told her not to, it now lies in her spare room gathering dust.

What size of house do you have, a room and Kitchen by any chance ;), coz they are useless in a 4 bedroom house IMO.

I had one many years ago and hated it, it had poor suction and broke after a year or two. My Mum bought one even though I told her not to, it now lies in her spare room gathering dust.

What size of house do you have, a room and Kitchen by any chance ;), coz they are useless in a 4 bedroom house IMO.

3 b/room. So does my dad and my brother has a large house....or maybe they don't hoover up at all the messy b*stards LOL!

Henry's are popular with cleaning contractors cos they're cheap, fairly idiot proof and easy to fix.

They're the zippo lighter of the cleaning world, but not as good quality.

Now Nilfisk... that's a proper machine. I wouldn't pay for one in a million years but v good all the same.

we have this one [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012LIU7Q?ie=UTF8&tag=asm010001-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B0012LIU7Q&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE]Dyson DC24 All Floors Ultra-lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

its smaller than the others but does need emptying more, which i dont mind, nice small and can store it anywhere. great for picking up dust, its for carpets and wood floor!!

Rolls Royce of the domestic appliance is Miele they make superb vacuum cleaners.

Dyson is like your Volvo though

and guess what car i have lol

Lada Riva?

797.jpg

Anyone remember the Kirby? I didn't know that Meile made vacum cleaners, the mrs has a Meile washing machine (yes it is hers and im not allowed near it) very good machine mind.

We also have a henry but it's nearly dead, one of the pipes broke and the replacement from the market doesn't fit very well.

Will have a look at the Meile me thinks

The best thing about this thread is it solves the problem of what I am buying the Mrs for xmas :proud:

Frenchman

Anyone remember the Kirby? I didn't know that Meile made vacum cleaners, the mrs has a Meile washing machine (yes it is hers and im not allowed near it) very good machine mind.

We also have a henry but it's nearly dead, one of the pipes broke and the replacement from the market doesn't fit very well.

Will have a look at the Meile me thinks

The best thing about this thread is it solves the problem of what I am buying the Mrs for xmas :proud:

Frenchman

Hold on a second.....

Maybe it was a Kirby I had!?

All I know was it had a face on it and was red. :)

Hold on a second.....

Maybe it was a Kirby I had!?

All I know was it had a face on it and was red.
:)

Kirbys weighed 3 tonne and cost about 2 grand.

You had a Tommy Tango m8.

Kirbys weighed 3 tonne and cost about 2 grand.

You had a Tommy Tango m8.

So they didn't have a smiley face?

And it didn't look like this guy.....
kirby_071220a-l.jpg

Last edited:
Back