LG google nexus 4 warranty issue

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - i was about to buy a a lg google nexus 4 smartphone from a seller, phone is only 4 weeks old, been told by lg that the warranty will be void if i bought it from the seller, even if they gave me the original purchase invoice from google, even the seller cant transfer the warranty to my name...so is this pathetic or what ?...see transcript here below with lg that i just had.

Chat Transcript
Time of chat: 3/11/2013 3:08:17 PM
Length of chat: 00:09:01
Your name: ME
Chatted with: Mobile Phone Support

3:08 PM Mobile Phone Support: Hello, s. Can I help you with anything today?
3:08 PM Mobile Phone Support: Good afternoon you're through to Lauren. Following this chat there is a short survey that will allow you to rate me personally today and the service I have provided. We appreciate all feedback given. How can I help you today?
3:09 PM ME: yes - i was just wondering about the warranty regarding the google nexus 4 phone which i purchased off a seller on ebay. He has given me the invoice but was wondering how do i transfer the warranty on my name.
3:10 PM Mobile Phone Support: Unfortunately you cannot. A manufacturers warranty is only valid for the consumer who originally purchased the phone I'm afraid.
3:11 PM ME: so only they can transfer the warranty to my name ?
3:12 PM Mobile Phone Support: No, the warranty has become void now, so unfortunately you do not have a warranty for this phone.
3:13 PM ME: that is pathetic. why has the warranty become void?, so you are saying if a person buys a lg google nexus 4 and then a month down the line he doesnt like it and sells it , ie to me, then the warranty is void...???????????
3:14 PM Mobile Phone Support: Unfortunately yes, the warranty is only valid for the original consumer who has purchased the phone from a retailer.
3:16 PM ME: that is totally pathetic, ..end chat..

Looks like it's perfectly within the law for manufacturers to put a clause in warranties which makes them null and void for 2nd hand users.

Apparently the 360 and PS3 have had them since launch, so it's nothing new. :(

lol...that really sucks, pointless buying a nearly new phone like this google nexus 4 from flebay cos the warranty wont be worth the paper its printed on, unless the seller is willing to help you after he has sold it to you..but doubt it once hes got your moneya nd youve got the phone...lol

hi guys - i was about to buy a a lg google nexus 4 smartphone from a seller, phone is only 4 weeks old, been told by lg that the warranty will be void if i bought it from the seller, even if they gave me the original purchase invoice from google, even the seller cant transfer the warranty to my name...so is this pathetic or what ?...see transcript here below with lg that i just had.

Chat Transcript
Time of chat: 3/11/2013 3:08:17 PM
Length of chat: 00:09:01
Your name: ME
Chatted with: Mobile Phone Support

3:08 PM Mobile Phone Support: Hello, s. Can I help you with anything today?
3:08 PM Mobile Phone Support: Good afternoon you're through to Lauren. Following this chat there is a short survey that will allow you to rate me personally today and the service I have provided. We appreciate all feedback given. How can I help you today?
3:09 PM ME: yes - i was just wondering about the warranty regarding the google nexus 4 phone which i purchased off a seller on ebay. He has given me the invoice but was wondering how do i transfer the warranty on my name.
3:10 PM Mobile Phone Support: Unfortunately you cannot. A manufacturers warranty is only valid for the consumer who originally purchased the phone I'm afraid.
3:11 PM ME: so only they can transfer the warranty to my name ?
3:12 PM Mobile Phone Support: No, the warranty has become void now, so unfortunately you do not have a warranty for this phone.
3:13 PM ME: that is pathetic. why has the warranty become void?, so you are saying if a person buys a lg google nexus 4 and then a month down the line he doesnt like it and sells it , ie to me, then the warranty is void...???????????
3:14 PM Mobile Phone Support: Unfortunately yes, the warranty is only valid for the original consumer who has purchased the phone from a retailer.
3:16 PM ME: that is totally pathetic, ..end chat..

This is what I did.(only applicable to people who knows gmail account ID of the original buyer)
call google. Talk nicely. Tell your name and give them the original gmail address from which the device was purchased. while telling them the email address, hesitate a bit and then quickly tell them that you have now moved to a new email address and hence have no more access to your previous email. They will start agruing that no no, to claim warranty you will have to use the google wallet account from where you originally purchased from. This is the right time to get emotional. Just say things about the device. If your device is having problem, mention them and tell them that you might need to claim warranty soon. Dont let them realise that the original gmail account wasnt yours. Just be confident. If they say(they wont) that they will can only send email to previous gmail account, say you don't remember log in details or anything about that account. They have no way to figure out whether you use that email account or not due to privacy issues. At this time they will agree to transfer the warranty. They will first ask for the previous gmail account detail and then the new one. They can also ask for the order number on the original invoice. They may only be the case if you are CLAIMING any warranty but if you are just transferring warranty, they might not. If they do ask and you dont have it, tell them that the order number must have been in the older email account which you do not have access to. Simplessssssssssss....
made an account on this website specially to say the above lol.... Probably this is the last time i logged in here. I hope i will receive notifications for any future comments on this post.

Back