League rethinks live TV rights

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The Premier League has bowed to pressure from the European Commission and decided to offer one live rights package to a broadcaster other than Sky.

The commission originally forced the League into offering three separate live rights packages rather than the traditional one package to try and remove the monopoly Sky had on showing live games.

As a result, three new packages were created, 'gold' (first choice of 38 games on Sunday afternoon), 'silver' (38 games on Monday evening) and 'bronze' (62 games on Saturday evening).
275x175_football_goal.jpg

The move seemed to backfire, however, when Sky put in a £1 billion bid on the condition that it would secure all three packages. Were it not to gain any one of the packages, the amount it would give the League would be significantly less.

The threat of a new legal challenge from the commission if it were to give all three packages to Sky has forced the League to change its mind and offer out one package to other broadcasters.

All interested parties were contacted on Tuesday, Broadcast reports, and asked to resubmit bids for the 'bronze' tier, which has now been split into two smaller packages. The first package will have 31 games played at 1pm Saturdays, whilst the second will offer 31 matches kicking off at 5.15pm Saturdays.

There is now greater belief that the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 or even five could afford one of the packages.

A League spokesman said today: "The adjustments, as in previous years, reflect the needs and aspirations of the commercial market following the numerous responses to the invitation to tender document. The enhancements will increase competition and create even greater opportunities for broadcasters and media operators."

too right mate you couldn't beat the old sunday afternoon in front of the tele with your sunday dinner after playing or watching sunday league football and getting bloody soaked !

lol

i hope this happens as i refuse to pay for sky sports
the greedy scutters i have to watch the games up
the pub . we all have our crosses to beer im mean bear:rolleyes:

Back