Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned for life

Is Lance guilty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned for life as he gives up fight over drug charges.

American Armstrong said in a statement that he is "finished with this nonsense" and insisted he is innocent but did not want to spend any further effort clearing his name.

He said: "There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough'. For me, that time is now.

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999."

However Armstrong's achievements are set to be wiped from the record books.

Asked what actions USADA intended to impose, spokeswoman Annie Skinner said in an email: "A loss of all results from August 1, 1998 and a lifetime ban from participating any sport sanctioned by a signatory to the WADA Code."

Armstrong, 40, has always denied claims he ever used performance-enhancing drugs during his career and has never failed a test.

But USADA chief executive Travis T. Tygart has said the Texan should face the same proceedings as any other athlete charged with doping offences.

Armstrong, charged by USADA in June, sought a temporary restraining order against the agency's legal action but that was dismissed in a federal court in Austin, Texas on Monday.

His former team-mates Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton have both accused Armstrong of doping. Both Landis and Hamilton have also been punished for doping.

Armstrong, who in 2011 retired from cycling for a second time, is the most successful rider in the history of the Tour de France, winning each year from 1999 to 2005.

His story was made all the more remarkable by the fact his triumphs came after beating cancer.

Armstrong claims the USADA investigation "has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs".

"Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt," he said.

"The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense."

He added: "Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances."

He accused USADA of having "broken the law" and "played the role of a bully" and insisted he always "played by the rules" put in place by anti-doping agencies and cycling's world governing body the UCI.

He added in a statement on his personal website: "The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex-team-mate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves.

"It's an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It's just not right."

Armstrong, in a passionate defence of his career record, said USADA had no right to take away his Tour titles.

"USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles," he said.

"I know who won those seven Tours, my team-mates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours.

"We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront.

"There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart."

Responding to Armstrong's statement, Tygart said: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes."

While Armstrong remains steadfast that he did not cheat, Tygart sees the case in a different light.

Tygart added in a statement released by USADA: "This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all-costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition, but for clean athletes, it is a reassuring reminder that there is hope for future generations to compete on a level playing field without the use of performance-enhancing drugs."

Armstrong called USADA's actions a "charade" and the allegations against him "outlandish and heinous".

He said: "If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA's process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and - once and for all - put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance.

"But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims.

"The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colours. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?"

Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned for life as he gives up fight over drug charges - Telegraph

Whatever USADA do is immaterial, if he's guilty the horse has bolted and, with over $100 million, probably doesn't give a toss...

...in any case how would they rule? What evidence? Is the UCI the World governing body only while the US likes the answers?

If I'm reading this right, he has passed all doping test he was ever given and this is being thrown at him purely on someone else's accusations? Surely that can't be right?! If that's truly the case then this is fookin disgusting and they're are stripping one of the greatest sportsmen of our time and pissing on his legacy. I'm guessing I must be understanding this wrong as I really can't see how they'd get away with it otherwise.

In any walk of life shouldn't proof of guilt be found before sentence and punishment is given?

I don't know if he's guilty or not, I haven't been following the case.

But it does seem like sour grapes from those that were found guilty, and a big case of "their word against his".

If I'm reading this right, he has passed all doping test he was ever given and this is being thrown at him purely on someone else's accusations? Surely that can't be right?! If that's truly the case then this is fookin disgusting and they're are stripping one of the greatest sportsmen of our time and pissing on his legacy. I'm guessing I must be understanding this wrong as I really can't see how they'd get away with it otherwise.

We're both understanding it wrong then...

It's not true that he has never failed a test.

This long and very detailed article from 'Men's Journal' is well worth the time it takes to read.

The Case Against Lance*|*Men's Journal Magazine

"Lance saying he has never tested positive — a claim he makes often — is akin to Bill Clinton asserting that he never had “sexual relations” with that woman. Both statements are true only in a strict, legalistic sense, because Armstrong has tested positive at least seven times ...."

It's not true that he has never failed a test.

This long and very detailed article from 'Men's Journal' is well worth the time it takes to read.

The Case Against Lance*|*Men's Journal Magazine

"Lance saying he has never tested positive — a claim he makes often — is akin to Bill Clinton asserting that he never had “sexual relations” with that woman. Both statements are true only in a strict, legalistic sense, because Armstrong has tested positive at least seven times ...."

Yet another French journalist all bitter and twisted, I wonder if he is related to the French journalist who printed the story about Team GB winning to many gold medals in the cycling, and
how jessica ennis must be taking something because she finished too fresh after the 800 meters.

And thats not much of a case now is it?.

i think this is just a waste of time and money seven years he has won this and been tested for drugs and they have found nothing, next they will be saying michael schumacher was on drugs because he won so many F1 titles, just a load of utter cr@p.

the only drugs lance will have taken was for his cancer maybe thats why he won he was cancer free.

Yet another French journalist all bitter and twisted, I wonder if he is related to the French journalist who printed the story about Team GB winning to many gold medals in the cycling

Jordan Reed is most definitely not French.

Jordan Reed is most definitely not French.

The lab didn’t know whose samples those were until an enterprising reporter for L’Equipe a respected French sports daily akin to Sports Illustrated

cheating bastard end of...... 10 former partners as witnesses to his doping along with other stuff and the fact he wont fight it, come on if you are not guilty you fight this to clear your name.

He dropped out so there will always be doubt whereas if he'd gone to court he would have been found guilty, he took the lesser option of people doubting rather than the 100% you're a cheating ****.

Dont care about charity work or illnesses that doesnt exclude him from being a cheat and to me the fact he doesnt want to clear his name says it all.

Lance Armstrong's reputation lies in tatters after the United States Anti-Doping Agency labelled him a "serial" cheat who led "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen".

"Usada chief executive Travis Tygart promised the evidence against Lance Armstrong and his five co-defendants would be thorough. He wasn't kidding."

BBC Sport - Lance Armstrong: Usada report labels him 'a serial cheat'

What happened to "Innocent Until Proven Guilty"; after ALL of this, they still have NO evidence he did anything wrong; not one single dodgy blood or urine test, and not one sign of him handling drugs; it all just sounds like a sour grapes stitch-up to me; if they KNOW how he did it, how come they havent found anyone else to test positive.

What happened to "Innocent Until Proven Guilty"; after ALL of this, they still have NO evidence he did anything wrong; not one single dodgy blood or urine test, and not one sign of him handling drugs; it all just sounds like a sour grapes stitch-up to me; if they KNOW how he did it, how come they havent found anyone else to test positive.

I'll assume you've been away a while! We don't do the 'Innocent until proven guilty' stuff nowadays - just shoot the fookers and wait until someone complains :)

I'll assume you've been away a while! We don't do the 'Innocent until proven guilty' stuff nowadays - just shoot the fookers :)

Or wait for them to die,then wait until someone complains

his also become very rich too , its common in most sports and the yanks dont care // basket ball is the worst off all ..

they should clear his bank account and give everyone that came 2rd to him afew million

his also become very rich too , its common in most sports and the yanks dont care // basket ball is the worst off all ..

they should clear his bank account and give everyone that came 2rd to him afew million

But most of them have also been banned, I think you need go down to 5th place for that

Back