La Liga - Puerta dies after heart-attack

andywhitt2

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sevilla left back Antonio Puerta has died in hospital after suffering two heart attacks during his side's Primera Division match against Getafe on Saturday evening.

The 22-year-old collapsed midway through the first half, and though he managed to walk off the pitch and down the tunnel, he then collapsed again and was rushed to hospital.

Doctors at the Virgen del Rocio hospital in Seville, where Puerta remained in a critical condition, admitted their worries were growing due to the length of his cardiac arrest and the damaged it caused his internal organs.

He was pronounced dead on Tuesday afternoon, just hours before his club are scheduled to take on AEK Athens in a Champions League qualifier.

Puerta was seen as one of the major rising stars in Spanish football after helping Sevilla to successive UEFA Cup wins in the past two seasons. He made Liga 66 appearances for the Rojiblancos, and won one cap with the Spanish national team.

thats horrific, I read about that him having the heart attack this mornin.

Sad news for the world of football and his family and friends, RIP Antonio Puerta

Just seen this on the Beeb site, I was reading about his heart attack this morning too.

Sad news indeed!

There was another player that collapsed and died on the pitch not that long ago? Can't remember his name though?

Theres a tribute to the latter on youtube someplace?

firstly i couldn't even believe he had an heart attack the lad was only 22 but then the news of his death shocked me really sad news for all football fans.

R.I.P

especially sad as he was to become a father for the first time next month.

another sad day for football :( i saw him collapse live on the tv and thought then thats not good. R.I.P :(

Back