Kryptview with VPN Router?

Norman Dog

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone doing this yet?

What setup are you using?

I have had a good search around the site and can't seem to find a definative answer.

Any ideas what sort of speed VPN would be required for a stable connnection?

Any help much appreciated. :THANKS:

You'll probably need to find yourself a suitable VPN provider as there really aren't to many that seem to provide PPTP vpn links for free (plenty of OpenVPN ones but most routers handle this. An exception is the larger builds of dd-wrt or the special vpn build but you need larger than normal memory chips on your router for these builds). Someone like StrongVPN or maybe USAIP will provide a suitable VPN for around $5 per month.

Once you have a vpn it really depends on your router but you'll normally have to set it up to log onto the vpn and use the pptp protocol. Once the router is logged on then all its traffic will go via the vpn so you'll probably find it quite slow for normal downloads etc (lucky if you get 2Mbit/sec out of it). Thats why I would normally recommend a cascaded router setup with the vpn access router hanging off another router. That way your first router gives you normal 'fast' access whilst the vpn gives you encrypted/anonymous but somewhat slower access.

Any ideas what sort of speed VPN would be required for a stable connnection?

Any help much appreciated. :THANKS:

All depends on the upload speed you have. And like nozzer said, It depends if the router supports it, I have DD-WRT on my linksys wrt54gs router and is compatible with openvpn but with many vpn free providers they are usually about 2Mbit/sec or slower so the internet on your PC will be similarly limited

Last edited:
Back