Buying new router for VPN

leemoo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking at buying a NETGEAR R7000P Nighthawk Dual-Band AC2300

Now I need the router to be able to allow me to choose specific devices to go through VPN and some not. So a mixture of unencrypted and encrypted devices.

Can't seem to get a definitive answer as to whether the original firmware with the router will allow this or not? Doesn't sound like it will from what I've read.

If not, then whats the best firmware ie dd-wrt, tomato etc. to get this option on this router? If I can't get this option on the router either way then I'll look at an alternativce router.

Thanks for reading guys!

why dont use just use a Rasberry-pi and then you configure each device to go through the Rasberry-pi if you want it encrypted.

it does not actually have to be a Rasberry-pi you can use pretty much anything such as an engima2 reciever, VM etc.

find a Cisco E2000 or E3000 and stick Tomato on it, then you can specific which IP address can be routed via VPN

You can flash the device with tomato I believe, or alternatively you can use merlin. Also you could just do what Grimeire said and use a PI with OpenVPN on it. Just set you /24 to send .1 - .127 to the internet, and .128 - .254 to the VPN. I've got some cisco 800 series routers here if you want one. You'll need to configure it yourself though, but it would allow a lot more customisation. You may also need an image to run on it, not sure what version they're running at the moment.

Thanks for thre reply guys. Rather than having to configure each device individually I wanted to have my router do it all.

So will these Cisco devices replace my current ASUS router? If these will fit my purpose then how much would you like for one janobi? Thanks for the offer mate!

If you take the OpenVPN route (possibly others as well), you could set up DHCP reservations for the devices that you want to have VPN access to assign them to the address range with VPN access, and anything else (anything "unknown" with a common default DHCP address) would have Internet only. This is assuming you'll only have a few select devices that would be using VPN access, and any "guest" devices (phones, devices of friends, etc) would only need Internet access.

just got a bt home hub 5 flashed with openwrt . can install openvnp and tons of other tools
and will connect to any adsl/vdsl system . a little bit of work to set it up but once done its packed with features

just got a bt home hub 5 flashed with openwrt . can install openvnp and tons of other tools
and will connect to any adsl/vdsl system . a little bit of work to set it up but once done its packed with features
Do you have the option of setting different devices for VPN as mentioned mate?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for thre reply guys. Rather than having to configure each device individually I wanted to have my router do it all.

So will these Cisco devices replace my current ASUS router? If these will fit my purpose then how much would you like for one janobi? Thanks for the offer mate!

the only thing you will have to configure is the default gateway for the vpn devices. it shouln't take you more than a few seconds per device.

Why not just put Merlin on your ASUS Router ??

As far as I know Padavan works fine with that model.

Cheers Krusty I will give Padavan a look over.

Some good input from the guys on this post....thanks!!

Back