Just got this email from Sony

I've not got any hacks or tampered with my PS3 & i haven't recieved the e-mail.

found this funny, posted by a mod on the offical sony ps3 forum. Tbh tho they are opening a mine field as if people do this and mess up, then their PS3 will be bricked.

to heed the warning and go back to Official Firmware, take the following action:

1. Remove any pirated/unlicensed software (most important - you must do this first!)

2. Download and save the 3.56 Firmware to a memory stick via this link:
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item340292/Update-features-(ver-3-56%...

3. Go to Settings > System Update > Update via Storage Media

4. Select the 3.56 Update and proceed with the normal update process

5. Carry on using your PlayStation 3.

link
Hackers leave PS3 security in tatters - Page 350 - Official PlayStation® Community -PlayStation.com

Have 2 ps3's, both jailbroken for 5-6 months, every chance i have had to go online i have done, playing games online before the release date and still dont have the email. STRANGE!

I got the same letter too lol. I still am not on PSN at the mo anyway lol.

I was gonna post the letter here but I have been beaten to it and was thinking OH SHI* lol. Think they are just sending to accounts that have not upgraded to 3.56 and are wondering why? Maybe?

seems people who havent gone on line that had CFW on also got email, well from this I can only assume you dont have to go onto PSN for it to be detected, I bet the PS3 when switched on and detects a network connection to "a" PS3 server lets it know what your running CFW or not and whats on the hard drive (backup manager etc) hence the emails people have recieved - no doubt the PS3 was connected to the tinternet.

This to me be breaks Data Protection Act on personal information, as Sony would need to tell people they are going to gather information once you switch your PS3 on

This is my theory ..

i aint got one, never logged into psn since cfw ( i do have a psn account), never played online since cfw installed BUT have installed game updates that have been detected.

i aint got one, never logged into psn since cfw ( i do have a psn account), never played online since cfw installed BUT have installed game updates that have been detected.

i think this is the reason that we are getting them. alot of people downloaded the latests updates for games, which you can do without signing into your ps3 account, it just needs to have an internet connection setup.

i think this is the reason that we are getting them. alot of people downloaded the latests updates for games, which you can do without signing into your ps3 account, it just needs to have an internet connection setup.

That doesn't prove a thing though, I could have a store purchased game for all they know (and I do have a lot btw) and the fact you don't require PSN login to do game updates means anyone can do it as long as you're hooked up online as that's all it is. Just a game update. The reason people are getting these emails is afaik pretty much that the wipe history proggies and stealth proggies are bs because Sony can detect unauthorized code anyhow completely seperate to the visible list you can see. That and that they're probably just fishing amongst the people that have had red flags raised for whatever reason - likely the mere act of running a backup loader and sending a blank history back to Sony along with it lol. As for coogster not getting an email I can only think he's extremely lucky - or he WILL get one sooner or later if not be outright banned without warning like some have been.

That doesn't prove a thing though, I could have a store purchased game for all they know (and I do have a lot btw) and the fact you don't require PSN login to do game updates means anyone can do it as long as you're hooked up online as that's all it is. Just a game update. The reason people are getting these emails is afaik pretty much that the wipe history proggies and stealth proggies are bs because Sony can detect unauthorized code anyhow completely seperate to the visible list you can see. That and that they're probably just fishing amongst the people that have had red flags raised for whatever reason - likely the mere act of running a backup loader and sending a blank history back to Sony along with it lol. As for coogster not getting an email I can only think he's extremely lucky - or he WILL get one sooner or later if not be outright banned without warning like some have been.

I updated gt5 while we could all still get online aswell as redownload a psn game with cfw and I havent received an email so I don't think its detected from updates. It must be a piece of piss for Sony to detect unauth code so I don't think anyone can point the finger of blame at any one thing until Sony actually say how they detect (cant see that happening though)

I am certain these detection were done a few weeks ago and Sony gathered the PSN accounts and now have sent out the email. I was on CFW but re formatted the hard drive and install 3.56 two weeks ago.

You don't have to use your PS3 to get the game updates just use PS3 Game Updater 1.4 on your pc to get the package files, then put them on a USB flash drive and install them on the PS3.

How long this will last depends on Sony.

You don't have to use your PS3 to get the game updates just use PS3 Game Updater 1.4 on your pc to get the package files, then put them on a USB flash drive and install them on the PS3.

How long this will last depends on Sony.

Unless I'm missing something totally obvious I'd say that's completely pointless as you can do it no problem from PS3 directly without PSN necessity and plus they log unauthorized code regardless so you'd be caught out by running a backup manager to get access to your games anyhow. I don't think there's any way around it at the minute without banning yourself from PSN/internet completely on PS3 without being logged.

From what I read it's people who use 3.55 or below using the spoof to make it think it's the lates firmware to get on line that's how they no

From what I read it's people who use 3.55 or below using the spoof to make it think it's the lates firmware to get on line that's how they no

that would make sense as I've been online with cfw before 3.56 came out and have heard nothing. Never bothered spoofing.

Possibly, but if you read the email warning it says there's pirate software/circumvention material residing on your PS3 and to delete such shit (paraphrasing lol) immediately to avoid a console ban....circumvention material residing on PS3 - that's not the F-PSN workaround....that's on PC. Sony have no jerusdiction over what I run on my PC as it has nothing to do with their (sorry their (PSN) *MY* machine!!) PS3 console even if it is to circumvent their PSN login restrictions. All I'm guilty of is fiddling with IP stuff on my PS3 which is perfectly legal anyhow. So all they've got me on is running unauthorized softwares because they don't know if my games are pirated or not and the F PSN software might be circumvention material but it isn't residing on my PS3.

They might say the hack itself is circumvention material but how do they know I'm playing pirate games ? Snes emulators and a couple of backup loaders (which play originals too) is all they've got us on. That and logging in to PSN through a PC based workaround which is their problem to fix server side not demand we delete as it's not even residing on the Playstation 3.

Possibly, but if you read the email warning it says there's pirate software/circumvention material residing on your PS3 and to delete such shit (paraphrasing lol) immediately to avoid a console ban....circumvention material residing on PS3 - that's not the F-PSN workaround....that's on PC. Sony have no jerusdiction over what I run on my PC as it has nothing to do with their (sorry their (PSN) *MY* machine!!) PS3 console even if it is to circumvent their PSN login restrictions. All I'm guilty of is fiddling with IP stuff on my PS3 which is perfectly legal anyhow. So all they've got me on is running unauthorized softwares because they don't know if my games are pirated or not and the F PSN software might be circumvention material but it isn't residing on my PS3.

They might say the hack itself is circumvention material but how do they know I'm playing pirate games ? Snes emulators and a couple of backup loaders (which play originals too) is all they've got us on. That and logging in to PSN through a PC based workaround which is their problem to fix server side not demand we delete as it's not even residing on the Playstation 3.

but if you were using this machine legit why would you not update to go online instead of messing with ip to spoof it unless ya want to stay on a hacked firmware

but if you were using this machine legit why would you not update to go online instead of messing with ip to spoof it unless ya want to stay on a hacked firmware

Well obviously anyone caught using F PSN or otherwise found to be logged into PSN on 3.55 fw are on the fiddle. My point is that Sony are telling us to remove circumvention material residing on PS3 or face a PSN ban, okay fine, but F-PSN isn't on my PS3....all the games I'm playing might be legit (who's to say as I do have lots of legit games purchased here) so really the only legit thing when they say circumvention material residing on PS3 is unauthorized software including the hack itself. But here's the thing, what if I have a previously or newly purchased game sat here and a dead blu-ray drive ? Naturally I get the games onto hdd however I can. It's not strictly my copy of the game without my disc and my drive but still if I've bought the game I expect to be able to play it at any time but such is the way things are made everything has a shelf life regardless. That being the case who are Sony to tell me I can't play my own purchased games even though they took my money and their own hardware that I paid for had failed me to the point that I couldn't play games in the conventional way ? Hypothetically speaking btw, there's nothing wrong with my PS3. And I'm not denying the things I've been busted for. I'm just making a point of how shady these things can get not that 2 wrongs make a right. But that's how things are justified in the wild.

Back