Just bought a mio 168

hellsfire

Inactive User
Reaction score
got it quite cheap , trouble is i think the batterys knackered as it doesnt seem to hold a charge ( ive ordered another one) ive tried it using the ciggy lighter cable but it goes off after a while and even the screen sometimes goes white,could all this be due to the battery being kaput,it resets itself when turned back on.......................any ideas????

i have had it working but.......................

Is the charge light coming on? Because the mio 168 suffers from an easily broken charge socket. If the charge cable is just pulled out and not the side clips pressed in it breaks inside. The good thing is if your unit is less then 2 years old (date on back) mio will repair for free. Done it twice myself now :)

Is the charge light coming on? Because the mio 168 suffers from an easily broken charge socket. If the charge cable is just pulled out and not the side clips pressed in it breaks inside. The good thing is if your unit is less then 2 years old (date on back) mio will repair for free. Done it twice myself now :)

When i plug it into the mains a green light comes on at the top of the device,my mate reckons the red light should come on first then the green to show its fully charged ??????

When i plug it into the mains a green light comes on at the top of the device,my mate reckons the red light should come on first then the green to show its fully charged ??????

The green light should be orange when charging and then it turns green when fully charged.

Will the unit stay on whilst connected to a PC using active sync. It should charge once you connect to the PC via the USB connector. When charging light is orange, and when charged should go green. If it at least does this then suggests the connector at bottom of Mio is at least working, may still be damaged if it needs "wiggling" to get it to charge. If charge doesn't hold then probably battery is faulty and needs changing.

hope this helps

Freddy

Will the unit stay on whilst connected to a PC using active sync. It should charge once you connect to the PC via the USB connector. When charging light is orange, and when charged should go green. If it at least does this then suggests the connector at bottom of Mio is at least working, may still be damaged if it needs "wiggling" to get it to charge. If charge doesn't hold then probably battery is faulty and needs changing.

hope this helps

Freddy
Ive connected it through the USB and get nothing,but when i plug it into the mains the green light comes straight on and i can use the thing,when i disconnect the whole thing goes off and if i want to use it again i have to realign the screen every time as if starting from scratch,i gave it a go in the car with the ciggy lighter and the tom tom on it worked for a while but went off after a while,i have ordered a battery so i suppose i will give that a try before i start digging about inside the thing....thanks for the help peeps if you got any more ideas they'll be much appreciated.:THANKS:

internal battery dead i have one for satnav mine died and some times the only way to get it on was to repeatedly turn the charger on and off

i thought it was dead bought a new battery for a tenner thinking what the hell
swapped it out and bingo working fine again

try unplugging the battery the connect it to the power should work fine till you turn off power but with battery in does random things

New battery just arrived (£4.80 including delivery fron china) it is charging at the moment and the red charge light is on:Clap: all looking OK at the moment:banana:

Hope the new battery sorts it out.

As you also said "i have to realign the screen every time as if starting from scratch", thats definetly a symptom of a bad battery as the PDA is resetting itself when you tun on with power applied as the battery cant keep the internal memory alive.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Ive had my Mio 168 for a good few years now running Tomtom, look after it well and it will repay you. :)

All working fine now,gotta get a few different voices to keep the kids amused:Laugh:

Be careful with the connection at the bottom of the unit, i have had 2 replaced under warranty, otherwise it will be £120+ to fix the motherboard,
The problem is the connecting cable from the cig lighter pushes the internal connection strip in to the PDA and it comes away from the motherboard. BE WARNED

Back