ITV Player, 4OD coming to Sony's PS3

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
The video on-demand services offered by ITV and Channel 4 will reportedly launch on Sony's PlayStation 3 console this week, joining the already-available BBC iPlayer.

Officially announced in August, an ITV Player icon will soon become available on the PS3's navigational menu, offering users the chance to catch up on shows such as Coronation Street and The X Factor.

The service, which will be funded by pre, mid and post-roll advertising, is part of ITV's new strategy to bring ITV Player to platforms beyond ITV.com, including games consoles, connected TVs and mobile devices.

Speaking to The Guardian, ITV.com managing director Robin Pembroke said that the PS3 launch will mark an "acceleration of our distribution strategy". He added: "As awareness of ITV Player grows, so will consumption of ITV's content on-demand."

Sony claims there are around 4m PS3s in the UK, with around 80% of those being connected to the internet using the PlayStation Network. BBC iPlayer is already available on the device, along with other web services such as LoveFilm.

Joining ITV Player on the PS3 this week will be Channel 4's 4OD service, offering users the chance to catch up on The Inbetweeners, Misfits and Hollyoaks.

Sarah Rose, director of commercial business development at Channel 4, said that games consoles are rapidly moving into the entertainment space and the PS3 is well suited to the broadcaster's target audience.

"[Consoles] are much bigger now and moving into the entertainment space, plus it sits well with our 16- to 34-year-old audience strengths," Rose said.

Rose denied that the PS3 launch would take traffic away from the online version of 4OD and also confirmed that Channel 4 was "not saying no" to a launch on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

However, she said that Microsoft was "not coming to our door" about a deal for 4OD, while the Nintendo Wii - which offers BBC iPlayer - was unsuitable as it does not have the facility to support advertising.

Digital TV - News - ITV Player, 4OD coming to Sony's PS3 - Digital Spy

Sounds good, but it's not hard for them to do as the BBC Iplayer is just a link to the webpage and not a proper app like the lovefilm or mubi apps.

yup fraid so.But you can view them from the borwser anyway just save them to your bookmarks.

I went on my 3.41 console the other night and 4od and itv player have both appeared in the dash with iplayer so you dont need latest firmware :Clap: it is internet enabled but obviously i cant connect to psn as im running 3.41.

I went on my 3.41 console the other night and 4od and itv player have both appeared in the dash with iplayer so you dont need latest firmware :Clap: it is internet enabled but obviously i cant connect to psn as im running 3.41.

Yeah meant to post this myself ive got both on my 3.41 console too.

its appeared on mine as well, you havent got lovefilm app to show have you?

is there anything you can do to force the icons to apper?? im on 3.41 and havent got them yet.

no mate. you wont get them
well sargie and digi are on 3.41 too and them have said they have them, my console hasnt got these icons either, so how have theres if there on the 3.41 same as me!

do you have to log in to psn to get them?? just thinking as i havent bothered with psn yet for fear of getting an update. i have switched off the auto update thing in the settings though

you need internet connection and a spoof hex i believe.

Spot on bud, Mine works f/w 3.41 spoofed hex, but your not missing anything the quality is foooking shit, well is on my Panasonic 50" G20 anyway.

Last edited:
since i tried updating for lovefilm, i had to go up to 3.50 then back to 3.41, and lost everything, and nothing i tried, including spoof hex's, would get them back. last night i updated to 3.55, and today went out and bought ned for speed hot pirsuit instead of fookin around with it

Back