iTunes UK offers hit TV shows

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
iTunes UK offers hit TV shows

Apple today made top TV shows including Lost, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy available to UK users of its iTunes download store - threatening commercial broadcasters in the process.

Apple is charging £1.89 per episode through iTunes UK after signing deals with US TV studios including ABC, Disney Channel, MTV, Nickelodeon and Paramount Comedy.

The shows can be viewed on a PC or Mac, through an iPod or on television using the Apple TV set-top box. It is expected that they will also be available on Apple's iPhone when it launches later this year.

Programmes include Paramount Comedy's South Park and That 70s Show; Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer; MTV's Laguna Beach and Pimp My Ride; and ABC's Ugly Betty and Commander in Chief.

Analysts predict that Apple's move could threaten the digital download ambitions of a number of UK broadcasters - such as Channel 4's 4oD.

"This is a massive threat to the commercial broadcasters, especially Channel 4 and Five, who have embarked on a paid download strategy of shows," said Arash Amel, the senior analyst and head of broadband media at Screen Digest.

"It should also provide a significant challenge to Sky's attempts to sell downloads via the Sky Anytime platform. The basic concept means that if you miss a show one evening, you can buy it to watch on your iPod on the commute the next day."

But Mr Amel warned that Apple may find it more difficult to achieve the success in the UK with its TV download service than it has found in the US.

"The situation in the UK will be tougher for Apple than in the US because broadcasters who have rights to hit American shows will be placing a lot of pressure on the studios to make sure download-to-own rights are bundled into the big fees the UK broadcasters have paid for first-run rights," he added.

Apple said the number of programmes it could offer via iTunes would grow.

"We are thrilled to bring TV programming to the iTunes store in the UK," said Eddie Cue, the Apple vice-president of iTunes. "We have got 28 shows and expect to continue to add more great programming."

Screen Digest predicts that the UK download-to-own market will be worth £65m in 2011, of which Apple is predicted to take 80%.

Mark Sweney
Wednesday August 29, 2007
MediaGuardian.co.uk
© Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

That's cool, but I think 4OD is cheaper isn't it? But I guess you can put this one on your iPod.

Not that I would pay to download TV shows anyway, waste of money for various reasons.

Back