Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this TV better than my panny g20 ?

Guys how dose this compare to my 50" Panasonic G20, just from the make LG :FRIGHT: say's it all to me Pmsl !!!

LG 47LW650T Televisions TV/Audio/Video

Thanks all for looking and dont take the piss :)

i cant believe you are asking mate this question mate..... and you say dont take the piss :Laugh:

i bought my g20 from richer sounds and they seem to be pro LG mate... the shop was full of LG lcds and leds...
and in the corner was the g20 all playing avatar.... the g20 was the best picture there mate, by far.

now im not saying LG is a bad make at all, but lcd-led vs plasma. no contest, plasma all the way.:Smokin:

I suppose it depends what you want to pay, I had a G20 that I had problems with, got a full refund from richer sounds I then spent days researching comparable TV's (picture wise) with no TV!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a LG LE8900 and I can tell you it is every bit as good as the panny in fact to me the image it produces is BETTER.

This model is now discontinued so some real bargins for anyone interested
LG 55LE8900 55 Inch LED 200Hz Full HD TV with Freeview HD - Buy from Sound and Vision
LG 47LE8900, 47 Inch LED Televisions, LED Televisions, Televisions

AVForums.com - LG LE8900 (47LE8900) Review

the only thing to beware of is reflections, the screen is one sheet of glass and like a mirror.

Edit - discontinued at sound + vision LG 55LE8900 55'' Full LED Infinia TV with Freeview HD

Last edited:
I suppose it depends what you want to pay, I had a G20 that I had problems with, got a full refund from richer sounds I then spent days researching comparable TV's (picture wise) with no TV!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a LG LE8900 and I can tell you it is every bit as good as the panny in fact to me the image it produces is BETTER.

This model is now discontinued so some real bargins for anyone interested
LG 55LE8900 55 Inch LED 200Hz Full HD TV with Freeview HD - Buy from Sound and Vision
LG 47LE8900, 47 Inch LED Televisions, LED Televisions, Televisions

AVForums.com - LG LE8900 (47LE8900) Review

the only thing to beware of is reflections, the screen is one sheet of glass and like a mirror.

Edit - discontinued at sound + vision LG 55LE8900 55'' Full LED Infinia TV with Freeview HD

Pmsl, You got to be kidding me mate, there is no way in this world (or any other world) that that TV's picture is better than the G20, For a start its LED :( and one more thing i noticed it's only 200Hz :( and if the screen is like a mirror then that's killed it completely for me. The last thing i want to see when im watching a movie is my ugly mug looking back at me when the screen goes black......Sorry LED's dont do black's very ;) well i forgot Pmsl.

Thanks for posting anyway ;)

Friend of mine rang me to ask about TV. I had just bought a plasma and was delighted with it, told him to buy the same, he rang back and said his son said no way it has to be the latest led tv so he went and paid 300 euro more for it than the plasma I have. He was in my house the other night and was shocked at how much better my plasma was. Its plasma for me any day.

Last edited:
Pmsl, You got to be kidding me mate, there is no way in this world (or any other world) that that TV's picture is better than the G20, For a start its LED :( and one more thing i noticed it's only 200Hz :( and if the screen is like a mirror then that's killed it completely for me. The last thing i want to see when im watching a movie is my ugly mug looking back at me when the screen goes black......Sorry LED's dont do black's very ;) well i forgot Pmsl.

Thanks for posting anyway ;)

i totally agree with you mate....... even tho lcds have come a long way in technology so have plasmas .....

I dont seem to see what this fan fayre about LG's is all about. For a small 28" yes, but I have not seen one that beats the picture of a Panny/Sony (new generation) or Philips set yet.

Pmsl, You got to be kidding me mate, there is no way in this world (or any other world) that that TV's picture is better than the G20, For a start its LED
If you compare the reviews on AV forums (which I did) the 8900 actually comes out on top for the image scores (they are close though),
Here’s a comment from that review “In conclusion the LE8900 is an excellent display that combines attractive looks with one of the best images I have seen from a LCD TV
I have also had both sets in my living room to compare (have you?) the LG is more vibrant and a lot brighter although this ultimately comes down to personal choice.

and one more thing i noticed it's only 200Hz
I think you’re a little confused here, the 600Hz Sub-Field Driving that the panny uses only applies to Plasma technology and should not be compared to Trumotion 100/200Hz, Trumotion 200Hz adds an extra frame and flashes the backlight creating a 200Hz effect, 600Hz sub-field driving works with a 50Hz source (UK Broadcast). The TV splits each frame into 12 separate sub-fields and shows them individually on the screen. 12 sub-fields per frame in 50 frames cycles, creates 600 frames per second. This is a marketing gimmick brought on because of 100Hz and 200Hz systems on LCD.

Regarding the reflections - It’s mainly when you have a window/ light reflecting on the screen from your seating position, I actually don’t notice this unless it is bright sunlight.

Regarding the blacks - Not as well as plasma, they are much improved on the latest LED backlit sets here’s another comment from that 8900 review “The black levels were also excellent, especially compared to other displays that use IPS panels and the LE8900 had the best blacks I have seen from a LCD display.” praise indeed.

If you watch TV with the lights out at night, go plasma. If you watch TVwith the lights on and during the day go LED, I would bet that if properly calibrated and side by side most people would choose the 8900, just my thoughts though.

I have also had both sets in my living room to compare (have you?) the LG is more vibrant and a lot brighter although this ultimately comes down to personal choice.

No i don't have both sets, the reason being i don't buy shit !, im not having a pop at you mate, but im sticking by my statement !, What i do have though is a panny 42" G20 and a 50" G20 with a Pioneer VSX921 7.1 channel Network AV Receiver and a set of Bose 7.1 speakers ! So yeah i have the biggest e penis lol ;)

hmmm some good reading in this thread. as I understood the refresh rate thing the 600hz sets were refreshing at 100hz with 4 interpolated frames per sequential frame, then the subfield drive blinks the extra 500 times. The reason the number is 600 is its the lowest number you can divide 24 into thereby insinuating without directly saying that its best for bluray films.

LED/LCD have more of a functional idea behind this effectively turning the light off when the crystals are returning to start position and moving into their new positions meaning you dont see the motion blur. they also switch the light off at 240 fps in 3d mode to try and hide the crosstalk. The only backlight blinking sets ive seen have been pana/philips/sony 400hz so far but ive not seen the LG upclose. Personally I would not buy korean sets like LG or Samsung but I have to admit that if you compare a low end panasonic with a mid range LG the price is the same and apart from some minor niggles with backlight dynamics the LG / sammy does a great job.

OP - the answer is no ;)

You can't beat the picture quality of a Pioneer plasma,unfortunately they don't make them any more but can be picked up secondhand,some even have 3 years warranty.

hmmm some good reading in this thread. as I understood the refresh rate thing the 600hz sets were refreshing at 100hz with 4 interpolated frames per sequential frame, then the subfield drive blinks the extra 500 times. The reason the number is 600 is its the lowest number you can divide 24 into thereby insinuating without directly saying that its best for bluray films.

LED/LCD have more of a functional idea behind this effectively turning the light off when the crystals are returning to start position and moving into their new positions meaning you dont see the motion blur. they also switch the light off at 240 fps in 3d mode to try and hide the crosstalk. The only backlight blinking sets ive seen have been pana/philips/sony 400hz so far but ive not seen the LG upclose. Personally I would not buy korean sets like LG or Samsung but I have to admit that if you compare a low end panasonic with a mid range LG the price is the same and apart from some minor niggles with backlight dynamics the LG / sammy does a great job.

OP - the answer is no ;)

Thanks hawkish, my post above was my understanding of 600Hz sub field drive for pal TV (not saying it’s correct though), as a side note I think I read somewhere that manufacturers achieved the 600Hz sub field in slightly different ways due to patents or something like that, they all seem to arrive at 600 even in north america (60Hz x 10 sub-fields) which ties in with your BR best for, anyhow It’s a load of
or should I say bull $hit.

Back