Is this the most useless piece of technology EVER???

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So the customer wants a room-stat with a digital readout.

No problem, they do them at about £40 a pop and it even comes in 2-wire and 3-wire formats - marvellous!

It's got a 'B' rating for economy.

WTF? It's a bloody room-stat ffs...

You know, it's cold so turn it up, it's hot so turn it down...

This thing can measure down to 0.01 of a degree, it's got batteries in to power the display and more electronics than the average Cray (supercomputer, apologies to gurus who knew that already).

This has got to be the p*sstake of the year...and it's only bloody March!

Anyway, customer is happy 'cos it's really simple to use, press 'Set' and hold, press 'UP' to make the temperature go up, press 'DOWN' to make the temperature go down...

Training courses are available and you can even get certified - I probably will be but that's another story :)

I had one, failed after a year and replaced it with a normal dial. Does the same thing

So the customer was really pleased with the work and you got paid, result all round.

I had one, failed after a year and replaced it with a normal dial. Does the same thing

Wise man - I've never been tempted...

...on the other hand a few years ago I did a Disaster Recovery for a well-known company (who shall remain nameless). They spent god knows how much on having a window put in the comms room door so visitors could see the expensive kit with all the pretty lights on it!

I'd give up but it pays too well lol

Me
Too cold:
Put on another jumper, run about a bit, pour a whisky.

Too hot:
Strut about the house topless with joggy bottoms on.

Her
Too cold:
Quickly fill a hot water bottle for her, wrap her up in comforting blankets, massage her feet.

Too hot:
Request that she struts about the house topless with joggy bottoms on (usually fails).

At no time do I ever suggest that the heating goes on a "click", and there is no way that I would ever be dictated to by a digital readout telling me to "put the heating on".

As soon as HAL pays the bills, I'll rethink my stance, but no until...

Me
Too cold:
Put on another jumper, run about a bit, pour a whisky.

Too hot:
Strut about the house topless with joggy bottoms on.

Her
Too cold:
Quickly fill a hot water bottle for her, wrap her up in comforting blankets, massage her feet.

Too hot:
Request that she struts about the house topless with joggy bottoms on (usually fails).

At no time do I ever suggest that the heating goes on a "click", and there is no way that I would ever be dictated to by a digital readout telling me to "put the heating on".

As soon as HAL pays the bills, I'll rethink my stance, but no until...

Hide ALL tops lol

My missus works on the philosophy that the higher you set the stat the quicker it will get warm. Still doesn't understand the concept.

Then asks...why is the heating off.....well could it be because the house has reached the desired temperature....

Erm, between you and me, looks around quickly (shush)...

Anyway, so I went to me Mum's and put me phone on charge then left the bugger there - it's 40 miles away so I'm not going back for it.

Get home and the missus tells me I've left my phone so I give her the 'disdaining look' and say 'Why didn't you call me???'

Sorry, she says, never thought of that...

Oh well, lol

In an attempt to redeem myself (as she just read that) I have to say she is the most wonderful organiser and my best friend ;)

She has many redeeming features and she is NOT blond.

With a bit of luck I may survive the night lol

Dangerous for you maybe, I can sit in the comfort of my home witho...........

is that her in the black van parked up outside...

Dangerous for you maybe, I can sit in the comfort of my home witho...........

is that her in the black van parked up outside...

No she is the one stood behind you mwaaaaaaaaaahaaaa

Trained by Jack, exceptionally dangerous she is.

I never told you about Jack?

Erm, let's just say he won't get lost in Afghanistan, or Iraq...lol

Is this the most useless piece of technology EVER???

Probably not but it's like lot's of other useless pieces of technology in that people want it and people like us supply it and take their money, constitutes a job. Most things in life are pointless, if you can make money from it yahoo :)

Though keep it moral please ;-)

Edit:- That damn nose got me again

Last edited:

Hehe - Jack is an 'in-joke' in a sense because he exists, has done the tours and now trains the younger lads in how not to get shot.

He's a mate and we all have a laugh because it's the only way to get from one deployment to another...

...Mrs M? Been married for nearly 40 years and know my place I do lol

Might just have well been trained by Jack ;)

Back