is this False advertising

roachieuk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Im just wanting some advice really i recently recived my tablet from a company and it quiet clearly states on the product description that it has
8gb of memory built in.But once i unpacked it and turned it on to check there is only 175mb built in ive done many checks with it including some Android apps and they all the say the same 175mb internal memory.I made a phone call to the catalog and they wernt having none of it so what are my options as ive been wating over a month for this tablet and cant send it back once its opend anyway.

here is the orginal product description.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you aint look at the RAM capacity and not the storage capacity?

175mb sounds to me to be RAM.

Hi mate

your getting confused.. as MH has said your looking at the RAM and not storage

Sounds to me that they have sent a std one and not a 8gb one... look here > Buy Huawei S7 Tablet (Android) Reviews

Huawei S7 Tablet (Android)
Android OS, 7-inch Touch Screen, 768MHZ, 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, MicroSD Slot
* Google Android 2.1 OS Platform
* Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, ARM cortx A8 768MHZ
* RAM 256MB
* Storage upgradeable to 32GB with a microSD card
* 7“ WVGA 800x480 Resistive Touch screen
* Sim card slot, supporting HSPA/UMTS
* 2 Megapixel camera
* WiFi 11b/g/n
* Bluetooth 2.1
* Hi-Fi speaker
* MIC
* MINI USB OTG 2.0
* 3.5mm stereo audio jack
* Micro SD slot
* Gravity sensor
* Light sensor
* Li-ION 3.7V 2200mAh

Not sure on the internal memory though

Normally these tablets confuse people because they have 8gb flash memory on the board, but this is accessed like a drive and not RAM. It has 256mb of actual RAM.

Incidentally that's way over priced. It's only £279 at expansys and they are expensive.

Also there are same specced tablets much cheaper if you don't want the name.

I'm thinking of getting the Archos 101, which is a 10.1 screen, Android 2.2 Froyo, 256mb RAM & 8gb flash memory, wi-fi, blutooth. £269 from amazon or the Archos 70 which is the same spec but with a 7" screen but it has a 250gb hard drive built-in for the same price as the 101. They both last for 36 hours playing MP3's, 7 hours playing HD video's and 10 hours browsing the web using wi-fi.

thanks all who have replied and no im not getting confused with the ram.Ive got 512mb ram and 175mb internal storage.And yeah i know its way over priced but thats the deal with catalogs i guess as i couldnt afford even 150 stright out for a tablet.As ive got a load of bills to pay out and plus xmas is near.Bu t yeah tbh im not to pist off as i love the tab but still i shuld get whats advertised right???

When i can get me digi cam working ill show you a pic.

Many thanks to all once again for all your help and i will get intouch with trading standerds in a while but anymore suggestions wont go a miss as im always happy for advice and any help.

Many thanks again to all who have helped

I would say it was false/miss leading advertising. It clealy states:

8GB memory built-in. Android 2.1

Ask trading standards m8. Trading Standards Institute - Home page

it aint false advertising. as stated a few times above, the 175mb is the amount of storage for apps, which is very poor actually. the other memory is for storing music, videos, pictures etc etc

edit: after reading the spec again, then i would say its false advertising. it clearly states 8gb built in, which it doesnt have. did it come with an 8gb micro sd card??

Last edited:
it aint false advertising. as stated a few times above, the 175mb is the amount of storage for apps, which is very poor actually. the other memory is for storing music, videos, pictures etc etc

edit: after reading the spec again, then i would say its false advertising. it clearly states 8gb built in, which it doesnt have. did it come with an 8gb micro sd card??

Nope no micro sd i did ask this to begin with from the catalog and she goes no its built in.So i said to her it only has 175mb internal storage and she goes no it hasnt and tbh she clearly wasnt having it.And i was sat there with the device and ive also as said run a couple of apps and it still states the same so tbh im pretty annoyed at them for disbeliving me.

When did you receive the tablet? Under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 you have 7 days from the day after you receive the goods to return them for a full refund (including outward postage).

Well heres the dodgy part i was meant to of recived it on sat but didnt recive it till tues and wanna know what the royal mail driver said."Sorry i forgot about it"so im having two fights at the moment one with royal mail cause i paid extra for delivery and one with the cataloge

"OH happy days are here to stay"

lol so yeah fun times at the moment

Doesn't matter, if you signed for it today then you recieved it today.

Also your still in with the 7 days.

Ok thanks for that info i dont think i will send it back but im gonna give my local trading standerds a ring tommrow as they arnt getting away with it.

I found some info on slatedroid. In Android the 8gb of flash memory does not show up as RAM memory, and so will not be added to the 175mb you say you have free, it will show up as seperate storage.
3. Memory- RAM is512mb but with the added skin from Huawei, down to less than 200mb. There is a lot of crap in there. As soon as I kill these apps I get over 360mb free. Not bad.
Then there are 8gb for data which almost all are available. And a microsd slot for external storage. It looks like when apps are installed, it looks for needed data on the internal storage and not on the SD. After installing Ndrive I had to move the maps from the microsd to internal storage to be seen.

ancapture.jpg

Last edited:
If you Root the machine you can install APP2SD which will let you install all your apps to an SD card or other internal storage.

Pity it wasn't running 2.2, as that supports SD apps installs natively.

Anyway, well done on going for the Android machine instead of Apples Chav slate.

Android rocks.

Last edited:
Thanks @captain for that yeah im getting really hacked off now as my internal storage is only showing as 175mb total there is no way of finding the 8gb internal even tried through usb took out the memory card and just said please insert mem card.So im at a loss but nvm i really love this tablet as it plays everything i want for now flawlessly ah well.But i will ring trading standerds tommrow.

And @witchy yeah i love android this is the first tablet ive ever ownd and been reading bout android for a good couple of months tbh i got so turned of by Apple didnt like the sound of it tbh

I have just check the mrs tablet and her's is supposed to have 2gb internal storage, but I'm not sure how much RAM. In the android setting everything is listed separate.

There is a section entitled - SD Card, U-Disk & Device Storage. She is on Androind 1.9

From the top it says,

Total space = 3.74gb (i assume this is the 4gb SD card i have put in)
Available Space = 818mb (it's full of e-books :) )

Unmount SD card
Format SD card

U-Disk (no idea what this is)

Total Space = Unavailable
Unmount U-Disk
Format U-Disk

Internal Device Storage

Total Space = 2gb (this is the internal flash memory and NOT the RAM)

System Space = 0.93gb (this is the RAM)
Available Space = 611mb

LocalDisk (Not sure what this is)

Total Space = 1.07gb
Available Space = 1.06gb

Factory Reset = Erases Data on all devices.

Hi thanks for that well im on android 2.1-update1 and its split up into sections.

I have internal space being used and total internal space well something like that (aint got tablet on at the moment) and then in antoehr section is my sd card as ive got a 4gb in at the moment.

Ive tried diffrent apps today to try and find out internal space and all have come back the same 175mb so im gonna give it up as a bad job and gonna go ahead now and get the catalog introuble for false advertiseing as tbh im fed up with their atittude as once again today they called me a lier.and i really dont like being called a lier when i know im in the right if im in the wrong id hold my hands up and say fair play.

But i am doing a vid review later of this tablet and ill be posting it up in the android section of the forums so keep your eyes out and ill show you on that

Many thanks to all who have helped.

Re: is this False advertising *UPDATE*

Wow this has turned out to be the funniest run around i rang up the catalog again yesterday about the tablet not having 8gig internal memory anyways i was called a lier again blah blah.As i had the tablet looked at by a mate who also has the same tablet and his has the 8gig internal and it actually shows up under the memory part of the tablet.Anyways basically the catalog called me a lier so i thretend them with trading standerds for false advertiseing still wouldnt have any of it still got called a lier basically.Low and behold this morning i had a special delivery package arrive at my door this morning and guess what lol it was an 8gig memory card and inside was a note what basically said,

"We apoligies for any incovience but the item you recently recived the huawei s7 tablet doesnt contain the internal memory as specified heres an 8gig microsd"

So after all that they knew they were in the wrong blah lol just funny how they basically call me a lier 4times then send that.

nice result mate, as nobody likes to be ripped off,
but i would still report them to trading standards as it still hasn't got 8 gig internal memory as listed, (it still lists it now)....

Back