Sensible Topic Is This a Solution for Britain ?

If you aint applied yourself at secondary school in aint gonna happen at uni,simple.

True. However, I know people who can't figure simple differential equations, don't understand recursion and have no idea how to match curves using polynomial functions?

Maybe we should just shoot them and save ourselves a load of grief?

Or, sarcasm aside, maybe we should just recognise that everyone can contribute and adjust our society just a little bit?

True. However, I know people who can't figure simple differential equations, don't understand recursion and have no idea how to match curves using polynomial functions?

A whole bunch of stuff that people doing non-technical careers won't care about.

Maybe we should just shoot them and save ourselves a load of grief?

Or, sarcasm aside, maybe we should just recognise that everyone can contribute and adjust our society just a little bit?

I think society already accepts diversity in general, maybe there is a small minority who don't ?

A whole bunch of stuff that people doing non-technical careers won't care about.

Chewing on a wasp M8? :)

What I was trying to get across was that there should be room for people who just don't/can't deal with the whole academic bit. So okay, I get recursion, doesn't make me better than someone who doesn't. I don't get the 'caring' bit (as in elderly etc.) - I couldn't do it but much respect to those that do. They don't need a degree in anything do they? Surely they just need a huge dollop of human kindness?

Sorry, I'm in one at the moment :(

Chewing on a wasp M8? :)

What I was trying to get across was that there should be room for people who just don't/can't deal with the whole academic bit. So okay, I get recursion, doesn't make me better than someone who doesn't. I don't get the 'caring' bit (as in elderly etc.) - I couldn't do it but much respect to those that do. They don't need a degree in anything do they? Surely they just need a huge dollop of human kindness?

Sorry, I'm in one at the moment :(

There are plenty of opportunities for people who don't want to study further.

There are plenty of opportunities for people who don't want to study further.

If there were this plethora of opportunities then we would not have the Unemployment figures we have.

Heard some NHS Higher Management prat on TV this morning saying that A & E suffered staff shortages because there was a shortage of trained staff and that was the reason they had to use Agency Staff ????
Is he trying to say the Agency Staff are not trained ? No, he is trying to mask the fact that they prefer to "firefight" staff shortages instead of employ full time staff.
He then went on to blame having to employ Agency Staff at higher rates of pay as the cause of spiralling costs !
In which case he should authorise the employment of full time medical staff instead of cutting numbers and employing "managers" of this that and the other, who do nothing more than create a paper trail and a source for graphs and statistics.

There's actually a bill going through Parliament just now to bring back National Service. It's on its 2nd reading.

I think National service is a bit too extreme nowadays. Maybe a boot camp to learn life skills for 12 months run by ex pats? Just a thought.

Army cadets did the trick for me. I learnt the meaning of respect when i first joined and after 4 years of being there you get that respect back from newly joined members as there is a ranking structure like the British Army. Not only that i got to shoot an LSW under a controlled enviroment which was awesome :)

I did not know there was a Bill going through Parliament about National Service, so I am extremely please to hear about it, although I would have proposed 2 years service instead of 1 year !
Well; there is a petition to oppose the Bill so all in the name of fairness and to give those who would support the Bill a chance to voice their opinion I have applied to have an e-petition in support of the Bill.
I have been informed that it will take up to 7 days for the proposed e-petition to be reviewed by the Cabinet Office after which I will be notified if the e-petition will be accepted.
I will keep you all up-dated on the situation.
:flagwave:

I did not know there was a Bill going through Parliament about National Service, so I am extremely please to hear about it, although I would have proposed 2 years service instead of 1 year !
Well; there is a petition to oppose the Bill so all in the name of fairness and to give those who would support the Bill a chance to voice their opinion I have applied to have an e-petition in support of the Bill.
I have been informed that it will take up to 7 days for the proposed e-petition to be reviewed by the Cabinet Office after which I will be notified if the e-petition will be accepted.
I will keep you all up-dated on the situation.
:flagwave:

I have no idea why you are waving a flag :confused:

Ultimately discipline and manners should come from good parenting,the armed forces are well over budget now,let alone starting something like this.

I agree. but many parents struggle to spend any time with their kids. and few could spend the quality time that's needed here.
many now are forced to work weekends, many also have shifts that are only intended to aid their firms, and cause massive family problems.
you cant even take a holiday now, if your company (as many do) dictate when you have your time off, when it falls in school time.
even so i feel it still something parents should do (be responsible for).
but you can only do what is possible in your situation.
I'm open minded about National service, or should i say undecided.

Just heard, the National Service bill has passed its 2nd reading in Parliament.

A couple of points:
1. What this bill proposes is more community service than military service in the traditional sense of national service.

2. To comply with equality legislation (I assume) the provisions appear to apply to both genders. How many teenage girls would seek to avoid this national service by getting pregnant?

I'm afraid that is just a rumour, the Bill has not passed its 2nd Reading. It was raised as a subject in Parliament on the 6th September and the motion that "The Bill be read a second time" was proposed and passed and the Bill has been Scheduled for a Second Reading on Friday 28th February 2014.
That is also the date that The Prohibition of Face Coverings Bill will also have its Second Reading.
This information is courtesy of Hansard.

A couple of points:
1. What this bill proposes is more community service than military service in the traditional sense of national service.

2. To comply with equality legislation (I assume) the provisions appear to apply to both genders. How many teenage girls would seek to avoid this national service by getting pregnant?

There is though community service mentioned in the bill, it does not mentioned armed service being excluded.

A couple of points:

Agreed it is more Community Service inclined, but never the less the intention is there to teach the youngsters discipline, respect for themselves, others and authority and self esteem which can only be a good thing.
As for the girls getting pregnant to avoid National Service, the proposed ages are from 18 to 26 so they will have to get pregnant on a very regular basis.

Back