Sensible Topic Is This a Solution for Britain ?

That's the ones.
Seriously though @oneman , I am not just being frivolous with my opinions on this because if the Bill were to be passed next year I have 3 children who would be eligible to do their National Service and although I like to think that they have been raised properly and have respect for people, property and authority, I still believe that National Service would do them more good than harm. And yes if they were sent into active service I would be worried but I believe that with rights comes responsibility and if preserving those rights means actions have to be taken, then so be it and fate will prevail.
In my mind the attitudes that have been adopted by many youngster today means that my kids are just as likely to be killed minding their own business on the streets of a town as they would be in many other considered dangerous situations, so I see National Service as a way of reducing those risks by changing the mind set of those youngsters.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH, I think you are looking at a sledgehammer to crack a walnut problem here. Of course there are problem people out there but I honestly believe a VAST majority of youngsters know the difference between right and wrong and contribute positively to society.

TBH, I think you are looking at a sledgehammer to crack a walnut problem here. Of course there are problem people out there but I honestly believe a VAST majority of youngsters know the difference between right and wrong and contribute positively to society.

All I can say to that is you must live in a much nicer town than I do. Don't get me wrong, I know there are some great kids out there but there are some real nightmares as well and unfortunately as the system stands nothing seems to be able to be done about those ones. This is an option that I believe can address that problem, plus I believe that it will also address a few other problems as well.

National service might actually be a good idea, it might actually teach people that the working man/woman is not here to wipe their bums for them and send them money..... america has a far more ruthless way of life.

True, there isn't, but politically popular is BS anyway. I think it's an excellent idea. Yes it will cost, but the Country will get a lot from it. Front-line people are supported by technicians, mechanics, engineers etc., all of whom get excellent training so they get trained in something they can use in civvy street.

Half the World has enforced conscription, some good, some bad.

As for paying for it - well, you could dump that stupid HS2 project for a start.

As for paying for it - well, you could dump that stupid HS2 project for a start.

The HS2 is terrible. They say the country is going to benefit but really what they mean is London.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back