iPod iPod touch jailbreak

spike24

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi I have an iPod touch 3rd gen on 4.2.1 can someone tell me the best guide to use to jailbreak it,also what is the difference between tethered and untethered I am not sure what this means.
I also have an iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 that I would also like to jailbreak and not sure if I can use the same guide as the iPod,thanks

tethered means you have to have to boot the phone from pc using redsn0w if the phone is ever turned off or if the battery dies.
untethered means you can turn the phone off and reboot it without having to connect it to a pc.

here is a guide for your iphone 4 on 5.0.1 : Jailbreak 5.0.1 Untethered - iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, iPad with Redsn0w 0.9.10 b1 [Tutroial] - Jailbreak 5.1 / 5.0.1 / 5 / 4.3.5 / 4.3.2 / 4.3.3 / 4.3.4 Untethered - iPad 2 Jailbreak

you can also follow it in this sticky: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/278643/

if i was you i would update the ipod to 5.0.1 and use the same way as the iphone 4
or if you want to keep it on 4.2.1 just use greenpois0n : https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/257073/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,have you any do's and donts to watch out for when I have actually done this as I don't want to end up with a phone or iPod I carnt use.

I don't want to end up with a phone or iPod I carnt use.

that wont happen.
in the unlikely event anything does go wrong then you simply restore the iphone/ipod with itunes.
you will want to add installous after jail breaking (for cracked apps/games)
i always add it from the hackulo repo.

so once jailbroke open cydia, choose "user" and let it update sources.
then goto manage / sources / edit and add the following 2 repos

h*tp://sinfuliphonerepo.com

h*tp://cydia.hackulo.us

(replacing the * with t)
accept the warnings, the sites are safe.
then search for installous and install, appsync will also be installed along with installous.
install installous from the hackulo repo

thats pretty much it, you can also browse through cydia for fun stuff and tweaks.
enjoy

Great advice Kryton!

Sorry to crash the thread but I have a iPod Touch 1st gen - Is there anyway to get 4.2.1 on it? All apps I try and install say they need to have iOS 4 installed :(

so kryton i did the poison one for the ipod touch and did all you said but when i go to app store it still tells me the price of the apps i thought they were free,am i missing something?

yes i just worked that out but they wont download heres an example
doodle jump press download
use filedude and put in code and press download normally
then i get another code to put in
i keep doing this but nothing happens
right i have managed to download fruit ninja,i am doing something wrong because lots that i tried just wont work
also my friend can go to the app store and donload a paid app and the price changes to free,i pressume greenpoison doesnt allow this,
if i had done the other jailbreak the one with redsnow would that work thanks

Last edited:
Oops guys I just realised I have 2nd gen and not 3rd,does this make a difference,I was able to download angry birds but it won't load from home screen,thanks again

Great advice Kryton!

Sorry to crash the thread but I have a iPod Touch 1st gen - Is there anyway to get 4.2.1 on it? All apps I try and install say they need to have iOS 4 installed :(

Not a great deal you can do m8
2.2.0 was the last firmware release for the 1st gen

@ spike
the reason the price changes when your friend downloads from appstore is because once you pay for it you dont have to pay again
IE if you restore your phone and lose the app you wont be charged to download it again.

jailbreaking wont allow you to download paid apps from the appstore, you must use installous or another 1 is appcake (found on cydia)
since the closure of megaupload alot of filesharing sites have removed illegal content so you have to keep trying.
ive started downloading games through torrents because of the fileshare sites being so slow, but im sure things will get better.

there shouldnt be any problems with the greenpois0n jailbreak, just make sure appsync is installed and that you got it from the hackulo repo.
ive been having problems with the appsync from sinful.
you can try redsn0w for the 2nd gen ipod if you like aslong as its not a MC model, redsn0w didnt support the MC model.
if it is you can use sn0wbreeze for the ipod 4.2.1 too

Last edited:
I seem to have got the hang of it now,on some of the apps I try it has a version no what does this mean cause I am having problems downloading them,I look for file dude cause the first ones are file share I think and I'm not sure what to do or you only get one option.
My friends iPhone is jail broken and she has redsnow on it,she was showing me Cydia etc and then she went to app store and just randomly clicked a pay app and it changed from the price to free that's why I asked about this,thanks again

she was showing me Cydia etc and then she went to app store and just randomly clicked a pay app and it changed from the price to free that's why I asked about this,thanks again

ive never heard of that....maybe you can get her to explain how she is doing this
the version number on the app is to tell you just that, the version...say you have version 1.0 and the creator releases an update for it you will know what version you have by the number.

Back