iPhone iphone 3gs update woes

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Mrs has iphone 3gs (her's not jailbroken or anything as was out of the box) and has been having a few issues and her provider said she should upgrade to the latest ios before they will do much.

fortunately i backed up her contacts before i could ask/do anything else ie messages photos etc etc she started the update, well off it went and some time later and a few reboots and backing up this and that and doing firmware and verifying it failed and said it couldn't do the restore and had an error (-50)

after trying a few things eventually the only way to proceed was to press cancel on the restore, it did a few more bits and then all was finished it said it would reboot phone and it was done.

so we started up the phone and pressed all the buttons and we then had new phone or backup from itunes backup we tried this and it restored all the apps and contacts but no messages or photos it just said if we continued it would over write the photos that were already there ?? (none on the phone that i could see) but they would only be available to the original name of the phone.

when i look at this backup with iexplorer there are no photos in the pre-update backup.

i turned my attention to itunes (aaarrrrgggh what a horrible piece of software) anyway i had a look at the backup folder and with a recovery program could see the old backups prior to the one performed by the update process, i have got these files in another folder but itunes or iexplorer dont see these files as a legitimate backup.

i tried iphone backup explorer 4 as well and this doesnt see the other backups.

i am assuming that a 3gs running ios3 backup can be read by ios6 ?

Mrs is a bit hacked off, she was talking about investing in a new iphone soon but i suspect this episode will put her off iphone and push her towards either a samsung (she had one before) or a nokia win 8 phone.

does any body know any way of extracting photos from a previous backup apart from using the tools i have already used ?

TIA

Last edited:
Hi mate did u have any look with the extract program ? Some advice moving forward is to get to the latest fw 6.1.3 , create an iCloud account ,use your apple I'd and password ,once created back everything up to the cloud ,if after you have to restore in the future, your apps remain in the App Store ,you just choose to download if you have photo stream on ,on your iphone again after a restore you won't ever loose them , when updating in iTunes I always download the ipsw file put the device in pwn dfu mode, alt and left mouse click and restore , you will not have a problem restoring that way.
iTunes if you understand how it works , works very well

Back