iPad IPad 4 and MKV

Shindig

DW Regular
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find a definitive post...

Someone, please put me out of my misery and tell me. How can I play MKV on an IPad 4th gen.

The name of the tried and tested application please...

playing from an IPad memory, no streaming etc with subtitle support.

Many thanks

Personally I use ace player but trouble is a lot of these apps were using the ac3 audio codec that they weren't licenced for so most if not all have had to remove ac3 audio support which renders most mkv's soundless on the iPad/phone, if you had an earlier version you didn't have to update but sadly if you install it now you'll be soundless :(

If I then extract subtitles from the MKV as well... can I then load them back in with the Ipad movie player...

Playing MP4 files .... load subtitles... as sub/srt etc

For ordinary avi files I use an app called Imediaplayer - free.

there is an app in the app store free if jailbroken 1.99 if not that will do the job with converting its called AV Player HD read other forums that this will work very well

avplayer will decode ac3 audio now... they have bought a licence.
Just no DTS, but something like MX video for android doesn't native support dts.

Cinexplayer will play just about anything you throw at it, never had any issues and it will now let you stream from Dropbox folder too.

XBMC on the ipad is superb, I use it for playing everything.

Vlc player has been re-released aswell for free on the App Store so well worth checking out :)

It was just wasn't going to happen. Bought a nexus 10. Well chuffed with it. The file browser element is way up that as an important aspect.

Sent from my GT-I9100

There are a few players that say they can play mkv but most are a bit jerky.It is best to change to mp4

Back