Other IP Address Missing/DNS Problem

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Just to let you know I have mentioned part of this problem on the What are nzb?? thread.

Recently I could not connect to any internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, I.E 9) but my WiFi was working as Windows and Norton updates were working fine :err:.
This problem happened after I install a NZB client on my laptop, On the What are nzb?? thread I was asked if I could ping 8.8.8.8, after finding out what that meant, I indeed could ping.
So I read up about changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and managed to connect to a browser and to the internet.
I don't know if the problem was because my IPv6 & IPv4 box was already ticked or that there was no IP address for IPv6 & IPv4.

Does any one know if this is the reason I could not connect to a internet browser?
Does anyone know how I get my IP address back?

I read so more about fixing this problem and saw this solution about fixing host files...
Open the cmd box and type in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc.
Open the host file with Word Pad.
Remove any line that appears in your hosts file without an # at the beginning, apart from the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line.
Click on the File menu, select Save.

On my host file directly under the non # 127.0.0.1 localhost line - is "::1 localhost".

Does anyone know if this is the problem that did not let me connect to an internet browser?

Thanks

probably a DNS or browser hijack by malware, they often redirect you to malware sites so be careful regardless of the URL you enter.

probably a DNS or browser hijack by malware, they often redirect you to malware sites so be careful regardless of the URL you enter.

I've got Norton 360, it did not flagged anything, I've had Norton every year on this laptop since 2008, never had a major problem apart from a corrupt file preventing Windows booting up.

When I managed to "get on" the internet last Saturday it did not redirect me to any websites but recently had 3 blue screens everyday since, I think this was related to uTorrent asking if I wanted an update to a newer version (in safe mode I uninstalled the program).

The "::1 localhost" is not the problem as it is the IPv6 equivalent of "127.0.0.1 localhost".

As oneman suggests, scan for browser hijacks with Malwarebytes (Hijackthis etc.) in Safe Mode with Networking. It does sound like something you installed could be the problem - try removing and reinstalling starting with the NZB client.

Recently fixed a laptop with the same problem, except it was McAfee Security supplied by the ISP. The firewall was disagreeing with a Windows update and blocking internet traffic - updates however were coming through fine.

Anyway, to test if it's a simialr situation run a clean boot:
  • Start > run > msconfig.
  • On the General tab choose the Selective startup option, and untick the Load startup items.
  • Next, go to the Services tab, tick the Hide all Microsoft serivces box, then click the Disable all button.
  • Reboot normally, and attempt to connect to the internet.

Back