Intel Vs AMD processors

Nothing surprising there really. AMDs have always run hotter than Intels. Providing your cooling is sensible there's no problem. Even if the fan fails, the heatsink will get you out of trouble.

tried both and i must say i would always go pentium over amd myself, just my own preferance though.

wow thats some heat, the core 2 duos rock(nice and cool too), was definately a great redesign of the processor, I have the core 2 e6600 and its smooth as hell whether multitasking, gaming or using development packages such as 3ds max etc, I'd pick intel over AMD most of the time although AMD do bring out some nice range processors at times and price is generally quite cheaper in comparison. The AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 is supposed to be quite exceptional tho' although the core 2 duo 6700 alone beats its benchmarking results let alone the core extreme (which I really really want). Buy me one, please someone buy me one!!!!

Nothing surprising there really. AMDs have always run hotter than Intels. Providing your cooling is sensible there's no problem. Even if the fan fails, the heatsink will get you out of trouble.

Not true. The P4 was way hotter than the AMD equivelant it's only now the Core 2's have come out are Intel chips cooler. And I certainly wouldn't let just a heatsink cool the CPU, if they could be kept cool without a fan do you think every manufacturer would fit one? As for multitasking it's always been known that the Intel chips are best for that and AMD chips were better for games again, that was until the Core 2 came out which is best for both multitasking and games.

All that shows is there isn't a safety feature with AMDs to freeze in that situation. Surprised AMDs don't have that feature though....

I own machines with AMDs and Intels and I quite like AMD. Intels are good but one laptop I use with a Centrino Duo can struggle at times but Pentiums have always been good for me. Can't stand Celerons though. Can't say I have any complaints about AMDs Athlon, Duron and Turion though. All been good for me.

fair enough the intels survive

but you would have to be a complete knob to remove you cooler in the first place, and i'v never heard of one just popping off.

thus, my conclusion is that this experiment was pointless

but you would have to be a complete knob to remove you cooler in the first place, and i'v never heard of one just popping off.

Most BIOS's will detect CPU Fan failure or low CPU fan revs and report this, they will also switch off the PC when a certain CPU tempreature threshold has been reached (this is normally set to a tempreature that is sufficient to indicate an issue but not high enough to damage the CPU.).
I would still pick AMD over Intel every time, simply because of the price/peformance ratio. The money you save on the CPU can be used elsewhere, Better Graphics Card, More RAM, Larger Hard Disk etc etc...
The excessive cost of intel cpu's vs the actual performance difference over AMD's dont add up. It's lucky we have AMD around a serious competitor to Intel, imagine how much CPU's would cost if there was no serious competition to Intel...

Last edited:

What if the cooler fan just packed up without your knowledge ? the PC could be toast

but isnt there something in the bios that makes it turn off once it reaches a certain temp?

VERY old video, I remember watching it when it was just released on Toms Hardware.com, I wonder how things stand these days (7 years later).

Can anyone remember the good old days before heatsinks and fans were needed?

I remember my 1st 386 @ 16mhz, not a heatsink in sight, my 486dx2/50 was also great - although i think that needed a heatsink, didn't heatsinks only appear with the appearance of the P1?

I remember my 1st PC. It had a AMD 486 inside.

amd_486_s.jpg

Just had a passive heatisnk on it, like this

hs2.jpg

i dont think there is that much in it unless you are hardcore everyday use is close

Can anyone remember the good old days before heatsinks and fans were needed?

I remember my 1st 386 @ 16mhz, not a heatsink in sight, my 486dx2/50 was also great - although i think that needed a heatsink, didn't heatsinks only appear with the appearance of the P1?

Therere was a heatsink on the 80286 processor mainboard that is pictured below, the socket is in the middle. The '286 didn't have pins but pads which made contact with the springy bits shown. I don't remember the speeeed, maybe 7.somethingMHz but it did have a heatsink.

The processor slug was purple ceramic :).

traditionally i have always used AMD, but this time i have gone for the intel CPU and was well impressed, as i remember when putting it all togetther i forgot to remove the flastic bit under my heatsink/cooling fan, and the pc would just restart, i quickly figured out what it was after looking at the temperatures in the bios.

i did a simimlar thing with an athlon 1400 and that burnt out, on that cpu the heatsink wasnt seated properly on the cpu core and it just crashed and burned out.

Back