images creating

gryfon99

Inactive User
Reaction score
image creating

Just trying to have a go at creating my own image but i can't seem to find the check tool mentioned in pt-1 guide to see if i have all the tools i need can anybody point me in the right direction

:Cheers:

just followed pt-1 guide for greating a image but when i run the configure script everything seems ok but i get one error witch is

configure: WARNING: can't build images with uid 0 as non-root

Has anybody got any ideas

gryfon99 said:
just followed pt-1 guide for greating a image but when i run the configure script everything seems ok but i get one error witch is

configure: WARNING: can't build images with uid 0 as non-root

Has anybody got any ideas

hi m8 no point starting another thread m8

so just placed it here with your others m8

if someone can help please@??

Post exactly what your putting in for the configure line.
To be honest this has all been gone over in the ubuntu thread in the testing and development area.

uid=0 is root

this is a permission thing

from other threads it appears you are running ubuntu.

ubuntu is linux for windows users. it tries to hide the concept of root (root is basically the big cheese who can do anything)

ubuntu tries to assign root access to the user using sudo. sudo is designed to provide limited root access to certain commands for certain users, not all commands to all users.

ubuntu is not the best version of linux to be using for development. its ok not the best

it looks like there is an error in the sudo command. you need to logon as 'root' (very probably the same password as your designated user), change to the relevant directory and repeat the command.

One of the 1st warnigs I read was don't compile as root :)
think he is getting the configure command wrong :)

Is there a tut for noobs to try and have a go at creating images cos all the ones I have read have just gone over my head ?

ellie1998 said:
Post exactly what your putting in for the configure line.
To be honest this has all been gone over in the ubuntu thread in the testing and development area.
When i set up ubuntu i set the passwords as follows

root=letmein

user=danny
password=letmein

and the configure line i am putting in is

./configure --prefix=/home/danny/dbox2 --with-cvsdir=/home/danny/tuxbox-cvs --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-libcrypto --with-targetruleset=flash

Your not logging in as root to compile are you ?

All I do is

to get a clean cvs (all new install)

start terminal
cd /tuxbox-cvs
cvs -d [email protected]:/cvs/tuxbox -z3 co -f -r newmake -P .
cd cdk
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=//home/ubuntu/tuxbox-cvs --with-cvsdir=/home/ubuntu/tuxbox-cvs --enable-maintainer-mode
make flash-neutrino-jffs2-all

This is a good site for info
http://bengt-martensson.de/dbox2/flash-yadds-newmake.html

gryfon99 said:

root=letmein

user=danny
password=letmein

./configure --prefix=/home/danny/dbox2 --with-cvsdir=/home/danny/tuxbox-cvs --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-libcrypto --with-targetruleset=flash

i dont no what is involved here but i do no my linux.
from that configure line i can see what directories u are using.

so i would suggest:
1 to fully delete wat you have already started by typing these commands
su *enter*
** you are asked for root password here which is LETMEIN.
rm -rf /home/danny/dbox2 *enter*
rm -rf /home/danny/tuxbox-cvs *enter*
exit *enter*

2 to start again from whichever tutorial u may be using. projects usually involve
downloading source from a cvs or svn. running a autogen or automake. running a configure line. doing a make command.

remember that if the application u are compiling does not allow compile as uid 0 then u do not log in as root at the log on screen of ubuntu. you log in as DANNY :)

sorry if this is confusing.

I think i just found my problem i followed what ellie1998 said and i got a different error it said that automake was to old my version is 1.4 and it needs 1.8 but when i try to update it it comes up and says that 1.4 is the newest

I have versions 1.8 and 1.9

system
administration
synaptic package manager
search
automake
should give you the option to update it.

gryfon99 said:

root=letmein

user=danny
password=letmein

Just as a suggestion, set your Root and User passwords as different things, otherwise it can cause confusion. If you are entering the same password for both users how do you know which user you are entering it for.
Hope that makes sense.

If your only compiling images when do you need to use root ?, so does it matter what the password is.

different if you want to use linux for more than compiling then maybe it would be worth worrying about.

Still had no joy so i downloaded and installed SUSE Linux 10.1 and this time when i done the same commands every thing worked with no errors except after about half an hour compiling it got stuck trying to connect to ftp.symplesystems.org

gryfon99 said:
Still had no joy so i downloaded and installed SUSE Linux 10.1 and this time when i done the same commands every thing worked with no errors except after about half an hour compiling it got stuck trying to connect to ftp.symplesystems.org

Par for the course i'm afraid
The week I wanted to start experimenting the cvs was down, I scratched my head until I looked here.
http://bengt-martensson.de/dbox2/

Just wondered if anyone did make an image for say VMWare with ubuntu/debian or some such linux distro with the dev enviroment setup?
Would they be interested in raring it up and allowing us lesser mortals download it? Maybe a torrent idea would work best, sure its only linux :)

PS: If i ever figure it out, I will create a torrent

kerbdog said:
Just wondered if anyone did make an image for say VMWare with ubuntu/debian or some such linux distro with the dev enviroment setup?
Would they be interested in raring it up and allowing us lesser mortals download it? Maybe a torrent idea would work best, sure its only linux :)

PS: If i ever figure it out, I will create a torrent

the first stages of setting up vmware help you understand how it works,
i think if you just rar the files up and post them maybe alot more people would post simple problems because they havent started from scratch and learned in stages.

Back