IDE to SATA Convertors in a DUO

gsmtech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to a standard 3.5" IDE drive in a DUO with the use of a IDE to SATA convertor ?? I have a couple of 500 Gig IDE drives in an old NAS and thinking of using one in the DUO failing this I have a 500gig 2.5" SATA drie as well..but the DUO has a 3.5" cradle so I will have to get the adapter bracket...i'd rather make use of the old IDE drives.
Will be intresting to see if anyone has already tried this. I have a new V2.0 DUO clone sitting in the box...havent had time to play with it yet !

Issue sorted for now... used a 2.5 inch laptop SATA 500gb Laptop drive with the exisiting DUO 3.5" bracket... Cable Ties work a treat for a quick "bodge" to secure the drive to the bracket. When I get a chance I will properly mark out the drive mount holes on the underside of the bracket and drill 4 x small holes in the bracket allowing me to screw the drive in from underneath the bracket for a more secure fit.
2.5" drive makes more sense less heat generation and power consumption...

iirc didnt those old eide to sata boards also require a 2nd power input? the small 4 pin fan style connector.
i know the ones i used did

iirc didnt those old eide to sata boards also require a 2nd power input? the small 4 pin fan style connector.
i know the ones i used did

Yes they do, this is another reason I didnt bother taking the route of the converting SATA to IDE. Can be done though i've seen some posts now on other forums where people have had some success with SATA to IDE convertors in DUO's. The DUO only provides a SATA power cable so you either have to mod the cable or use a custom convertor from SATA power to 4 PIN for the IDE convertor or not sure if you could convert directly to MOLEX for the power conenctor on the IDE drive.

Back