IDE Interface Problems

davidk2001

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me get my ide interface working. I have it installed ok in the Nokia dbox and it shows the hard drive but says there is no space left and if i try to format it, it crashes the dbox. If I test it, it tells me that the file system is ok.

I dont know how to set it up and have looked through this and many other forums and cant get any threads on actually using the ide interface. (it is not for a lack of looking!)

I was hoping that someone on here could offer me a few pointers or things to check!

I am using Jack the Grabber and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can it read NTFS or FAT32 partitions?
How do I tell it to record directly to the hard drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Press dbox,settings,HDD/MMC setup change the ide driver load to on
select file system EXT3 save and reboot then
press dbox,scripts and choose the 4th (HDD Initialisation) one down
then you might have to reboot then go to the HDD/MMC menu and see if it
showing the details if it does'nt you might have to format by pressing the yellow button

If all the above goes ok press dbox,settings,recording and set
recording device to direct (file)
page down and press ok on direct recording settings and set
recording directory to /hdd
max file size(mb) 4096
write synchronous (o-sync) on
write synchronous (fdatasync) on
press home page up and red to activate settings
press home then red again to save settings.
Now try recording.

Fergalsworld You are fantastic - thanks so much!! : multi :

I had looked and looked through almost every setting but I didnt see the scripts one!

I just have one other problem now and that is how to play back the recorded files.

My hdd is now showing up everything it should in settings. I go to record something, and record start. Then I stop it and it said that it recorded correctly. Then i go to movie player and look into the hdd folder where it has saved a folder with todays date and time but there is nothing inside it :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Fergalsworld You are fantastic - thanks so much!! : multi :

I had looked and looked through almost every setting but I didnt see the scripts one!

I just have one other problem now and that is how to play back the recorded files.

My hdd is now showing up everything it should in settings. I go to record something, and record start. Then I stop it and it said that it recorded correctly. Then i go to movie player and look into the hdd folder where it has saved a folder with todays date and time but there is nothing inside it :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Change to evocamd and ucode0014 reboot then
Press dbox,settings.recording settings and turn "switch to spts mode before recording" to ON then press red to activate changes then home and red again.
See if that works.

Al those settings were already there, but after a few more tries, it is now working so thanks VERY much!!

: colors1

Al those settings were already there, but after a few more tries, it is now working so thanks VERY much!!

: colors1
Glad you got it sorted: multi : .
While watching a recording press the ? button for remote control info.

Last edited:
I'm having a similar problem. I've a 320gb Hitachi in a Nokia Avia500 running Commando 8.0. Set to EXT3, formatted the drive, it recognises it and can record. Problem is, when I try to play back I get a black screen and nothing else. Incidentally, there seem to always be 3 files per recording - one rather large file (I'm guessing this is the video), and two smaller files. Trying to play either of the three gives me a black screen, occasionally with "Buffering" displayed on screen.

Help!

What are the files .ext called try switching spts mode.

Thanks for your reply. The file extension of the larger file is .0 and the extension of the two smaller files are .1 and .xml. Another thing is, when I try to play the file (the larger file), it prompts me which audio stream to play (there's a choice of around 15?)..

Thanks for your reply. The file extension of the larger file is .0 and the extension of the two smaller files are .1 and .xml. Another thing is, when I try to play the file (the larger file), it prompts me which audio stream to play (there's a choice of around 15?)..
You need to use Ucode14 with SPTS mode switched on. Otherwise it will record to separate audio and video files, which is what is happening now.

PS, and slightly off topic, if during recording I change channel, does the recording also change channel? Eg, I'm watching and recording BBC1, then change to ITV. Will the the HDD continue to record BBC1 even though I'm now watching ITV?

PS, and slightly off topic, if during recording I change channel, does the recording also change channel? Eg, I'm watching and recording BBC1, then change to ITV. Will the the HDD continue to record BBC1 even though I'm now watching ITV?

It won't continue recording BBC1 because it only has 1 tuner and can only view one channel at a time, I couldnt tell you if it records ITV after you change over though as I dont record on my box.

It won't continue recording BBC1 because it only has 1 tuner and can only view one channel at a time, I couldnt tell you if it records ITV after you change over though as I dont record on my box.
Wrong!

It will record the channel you started recording on then if there are any other channels on the same transponder which will be in the channel lists you can watch them while it still records the original channel.

Last edited:
Wrong!

It will record the channel you started recording on then if there are any other channels on the same transponder which will be in the channel lists you can watch them while it still records the original channel.

Ok, I wasnt quite specific enough, but generally it won't work

Ok, I wasnt quite specific enough, but generally it won't work
It does work ie you can record slymovies action while watching either
slymovies comedy,drama,family,indie and scfi horror
music the box
kids boomerang+1,jetix
record itv1 while watching bbc1,ch4 and channelm
as they are on the same transponder.

Last edited:
Wrong!

Excellent - thanks. This is consistent with what I've been experiencing, but thanks to you I now know why, when recording, I have a small number of channels available to watch but not all. Cheers again and to xela too :)

Back