i want to build..............

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
heres my setup at the moment

i have 4 computers running, 2 linux laptops, a windows vista laptop and a windows XP PC, all are quite old.

the PC i use for downloading etc, and it acts as a server for my media files for the TVs etc around the house. the vista laptop is connected to the TV in the living room and i do most of my browsing / work on that

one linux laptop i use for working with dreambox stuff, and the other just lives in a cupboard acting as a card reader for all the tellys in the house

im looking to replace the laptop that i do all the dreambox stuff on with a small pc type setup connected to the tv in the living room

id want it as small as possible, as powerfull as possible, as quiet as possible and with HDMI (if possible) or S-video output (as the PC connection on the tv is in use)

i already have a 500GB 3.5" sata hdd

and ideally, id like to get it all online, for less than £100

im thinking that i need

a case
PSU
mother board
processor
ram

i can add DVD at a later date if i find that i actually need one

operating system will be ubuntu

is what ive listed all ill need? can anyone offer any pointers or recommend anything?

tia

I read that, saw case, psu, motherboard cpu and ram for less than £100 then immediately thought....

I might leave that one to Pob....lol

You might be better with a small mini PC, such as [URL="http://www.scan.co.uk/products/zotac-zboxsd-id12-b-intel-atom-d525-%2818ghz%29-intel-nm10-ddr3-so-dimm-on-board-vga-sata-3gb-s"]Zotac ZBox[/URL], but it's a little bit more, or a Nettop (with HDMI)

Otherwise is ebay for low end parts or second hand kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-aspi...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item4cfbfde77b

Last edited:
thanks for the replies peeps, i did think about getting a small 2nd hand refurbished unit like this

Cheap Dell Small SFF Computer Mini Desktop XP PC | eBay

and putting a bigger hard drive into it

mainly, i want more processing power and memory than i have now, at the moment im using a battered packard bell easy note mit-cou-a laptop. it runs red hot, MUST be on mains power to work, and the fan is always on like a jump jet taking off lol

Back