i got one

Highlander

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, Apple TV 2 arrived, and has 4.2.1 s/w on it.

do i update to 4.4.4 (if so how?)

or do i jb 4.2.1 version?

cheers in advance.

just that i was reading this thread when i googled something: h**p://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124174

Save the blobs with Tiny Umbrella
Download 4.4.4 9A406a (5.0.1) - Only if you want to, it's not necessary but generally there are updates, bug fixes etc.
Jailbreak it with ATVFlash.
Install XBMC from the Firecore Maintenance Menu

Good to go.

Last edited:
still scared to break it lol

just been on youtube for last hour, pain in arse with little remote LOL

if i feel confident later i'll jb it.

looks like my last post dissapeared.

right, this little box is pi$$ing me off, i have about 15-18 windows open with 5-6 different guides telling me to download this, install that, do this, do that etc..

i am currently on 4.2.1, WANT to get to 4.4.4, but guides i am following say no probs, but in reality, it only lets me get to 4.4.3 and then i forget which guide i was following FFS

is there an idiots guide?

What are you using your atv2 for? are you going to buy from apple store or just use it for xbmc? if the later then I wouldn't worry about fw version I am running the same one if not earlier and xbmc is fine :)

For easy to follow guide then use...

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella FIRST DO THIS it saves your blobs download links are on the right for mac or windows etc.

then

iClarified - AppleTV - How to Jailbreak Your Apple TV 2G Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.2.1] for mac but http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/061-9978.20101214.gmabr/AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw is a link to the file you will need I think for the windows version.. not sure though

iClarified - AppleTV - How to Jailbreak Your Apple TV 2G Using Greenpois0n (Windows) windows version looking at it I think that downloads every thing you need.

When you have done the 2 easy steps above then read HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 - XBMC on how to install xbmc..

If you are still struggling then I am in Wigan dunno how far away you are from me?

You will be fine Al, just follow what Zad has said and all will be fine. He took me through and I jailbroke mine successfully!

Sent from my mobile device using fingers and thumbs!

What are you using your atv2 for? are you going to buy from apple store or just use it for xbmc? if the later then I wouldn't worry about fw version I am running the same one if not earlier and xbmc is fine :)

For easy to follow guide then use...

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella FIRST DO THIS it saves your blobs download links are on the right for mac or windows etc.

then

iClarified - AppleTV - How to Jailbreak Your Apple TV 2G Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.2.1] for mac but http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/061-9978.20101214.gmabr/AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw is a link to the file you will need I think for the windows version.. not sure though

iClarified - AppleTV - How to Jailbreak Your Apple TV 2G Using Greenpois0n (Windows) windows version looking at it I think that downloads every thing you need.

When you have done the 2 easy steps above then read HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 - XBMC on how to install xbmc..

If you are still struggling then I am in Wigan dunno how far away you are from me?

i downloaded tinyumbrella, saved a blob thingy.

downloaded the restore ipsw thingy

downloaded greepoison, let it run, said jailbreak complete, but now it says i am on sw 5.0 (4099)

feck knows whats happened.

and is it jailbroken?

follow the guide to install xbmc now and if it installs all is good if not you have the blobs so should be able to go back :)

and is it jailbroken?

follow the guide to install xbmc now and if it installs all is good if not you have the blobs so should be able to go back :)

i tried to run atv flash black but it says it's not jailbroken, how do i go back using blobs

this is all new to me.

How to downgrade Apple TV 2 firmware using Seas0nPass have a read there and use that.... please note "Note: you can downgrade the firmware only if you’ve previously saved your Apple TV’s firmware signatures using TinyUmbrella or aTV Flash (black)." sa as long as you have the blobs you are good to go..

i must be doing something wrong, it is saying that this device is not eligible blah blah.

wish i never bought this thing now

where does it look for the saved blobs, as it does not browse.

Last edited:
can i use tinyumbrella to restore, as it looks like there is an option there

Back