Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
Barcodes to disappear in five years, experts say | Daily Mail Online

What would that entail?

• New software to design packaging.
  • New printing machines.
  • Upgrade to scanning hardware and software.

I wouldn't have said that locating the barcode and orienting the item was the main cause of delays at checkouts. It's slow payment and card authorisation. Not to mention customers waiting for everything to be pushed into the packing area before actually starting to pack.

Interesting use of a CNC machine's tool store to illustrate QR codes.

That sounds strange.
I wonder what they would replace barcodes with plus surely it would cost the big stores and shops a fortune to replace all of their present equipment.

That sounds strange.
I wonder what they would replace barcodes with plus surely it would cost the big stores and shops a fortune to replace all of their present equipment.

I was guessing that it was going to be UV ink or something but it's the small dot pattern system as used on banknotes, EURion constellation.

So it can be printed with existing machines but the design software will be different. Not sure how the scanning technology works with those dots.

Amazon are testing this technology..

The supermarket with no checkouts

I only ever use self-service checkouts at one shop for a specific item and out of the four machines they have I don't think any of them can successfully scan two items in a row!

I know the Amazon stuff is sill experimental but it is another step to reducing the need for checkout workers. Self-service is already doing some of that but I think there might be a fair impact on unemployment.

So?

Have you never been in a queue when someone has done that?

I defiantly think he has, which is bringing on a rant....
Also coppering up and having long chat may also bring one on or forgetting an item they wanted and toddling off to get it while you wait for them to return.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr

Last edited:
Back