Hybrids yeh or ney!!

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The mrs kiwi has today bought our first hybrid a 2018 auris gb25. We did not want to go as high as a new corolla at 20k +. Although I have not driven it, i went in the back to listen for rattles. Very impressed how quiet and when in battery mode i'm very impressed. What are other thoughts on hybrid. New tech not yet proven or do you love em. Ps this for here new job.

Like you I had never driven one before @kegnkiwi but I bought a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander last April to replace an ageing Tucson diesel. The Outlander is a "plug-in" hybrid, so you have the option of charging it up either at home or at a charging point, which gives a claimed range of 30~40 km (actual is 25~35km). Once the battery is down to about 10% the petrol engine kicks in seamlessly & what's left in the battery is used for crawling, parking etc.
It suits my usage perfectly, most of my runs are fairly local so charging it up at home overnight (off-peak it costs less that €1) covers most of my travelling. I have filled it with petrol 3 times in just under a year & it still has about 1/2 a tank left.
My biggest issue has been getting used to the automatic, I still catch myself reaching over to change down gear when approaching junctions!

We have hybrids at work at also have a charging point. The MD had a bmw x5 hybrid but chocked it in and is now driving a range rover plug in. He has come in this morning through the snow and says it was fantastic.

Glad you like you outlander trevortron.

Ever so Yeh
I had my first Toyota Prius in 2008 and did 90,000 miles in it in 2.5 years, it then developed a catalytic converter issue so I traded it in for a Saab 93.
After keeping the saab for 3 years and then getting a BMW 3 series. I went back to the new Toyota Prius which i drove for 3 years doing 120,000 miles and then replaced it with another nearly 3 years ago, this one has done 105, 000 miles and I have had either break down on me. On this one I have never reset the odometer so it displays the average miles per gallon over 105,000 miles this is 62.
I find it V comfy, V roomy and V low on emmisions in rush (why do they call it that?) traffic.
I will probably get another Prius next time but I will deffo get a Hybrid.
As you have probably guessed, I am a company car driver, and the benefit in kind on these cars is very low.

The other half bought this to go with her new job. So the lower the emissions the more she can get back on tax as an incentive. She will not do a lot of miles maybe 15.000/20,000 per year but for every emission bracket, they set each time she goes lower they give her more allowance.

Forgot to mention - I love the quietness! It is supposed to make a fake engine noise when driving (sounds more like a tired dalek) but I switch it off to reduce noise even further.
Tough shit if someone walking along the road doesn't hear me coming, they shouldn't be on the road anyway!!

Back