Hub or switch?

Bungoblob

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Daft question maybe... what is teh difference between a hub and a switch?

ta!

Tom

Very basic explanation is a Hub will broadcast data to every port whereas a switch can broadcast to a selective port by remembering where the data needs to go based on address.

for a full explanation
h**p://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm

Hi all,

Daft question maybe... what is teh difference between a hub and a switch?

ta!

Tom

Without the manual, easiest way, type the model into google and check the specification.

Reality, its the device is less then a few years and almost for certain if its a 100mpbs device then it will be a switch. See the other post for different they are.

Bungoblob,

tbh your question has been answered here but in a small home/office network you will be hard pushed to notice a difference between the switches and the hubs as the number of ways through the network would be small. its only when going through a large corporate network with loads of hubs/switches that the speed would be noticed and degrade.

Bob

Guys,

Thanks for the replies - I was going to put one in the house to link the pc's and add a NAS, but I thought it strange that what I thought was the same thing is being called different names...!

Now I know, cheers!

Tom

Guys,

Thanks for the replies - I was going to put one in the house to link the pc's and add a NAS, but I thought it strange that what I thought was the same thing is being called different names...!

Now I know, cheers!

Tom

Though there is a technical different the terms are now used interchangably as the devices perform the same function, to connect network devices together. You would be hard pushed to buy a new hub anymore.

The only reason I can think about specifically using a hub where a standard swtich would not do, is if I need to do some network sniffing. In this cas a hub will be useful as it will forward all packets to all ports (i.e. like a switch in broadcast mode).

Though there is a technical different the terms are now used interchangably as the devices perform the same function, to connect network devices together. You would be hard pushed to buy a new hub anymore.

The only reason I can think about specifically using a hub where a standard swtich would not do, is if I need to do some network sniffing. In this cas a hub will be useful as it will forward all packets to all ports (i.e. like a switch in broadcast mode).
Higher end switches which are "managed" can usually be configured to allow sniffing on a particular port, sometimes called "promiscuous" mode.

Higher end switches which are "managed" can usually be configured to allow sniffing on a particular port, sometimes called "promiscuous" mode.

Yes, higher end switches can do this but then you are talking about switches costing hundreds / thousands as opposed to ones costing a few quid which is what most home users are buying.

Alternatively, if you run your network on thrown out/salvaged kit, you get this kind of stuff for free;doing them a favour;saving the planet;etc
:)

Back