How to hide Ip address?

Bhavesh

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey Guys,,

Good afternoon.. finaly i have free time lunch break.. so thought to pop here to ask you some questions..

Well basically we all know we will get caught by virgin if we download any movies or music etc from any sites..
But Last night when i chat to my friends on msn.. he told me that there is a way to download more movies and music where virgin can't trace.. is to hide your ip address and he send me a software to use it..
but before i use that.. i need some advice.. weather is it danger to hide the ip address, can virgin stiill trace even thou if i hide ip address??

Please help me some one.. need advice weather is it good to hide ip address or not??

many thanks
From
bhavesh

You cant actually hide your IP from your own ISP - how would the data get back to you ?

The program concerned probably uses some form of proxy and encryption so that the ISP cant actually see the data contents.

At the moment, Virgin (or any other UK ISP's) dont actually monitor data content anyway (Pretty sure that would be illegal). The way that people are being caught with torrents is because the P2P software advertises your IP address so that others can connect to you. I'm not sure that this software would make a difference to that or whether it allows you to download using some modified protocol. If everybody starts using it though then surely P2P would be dead because nobody would be able to connect to anyone else.

theres software to hide it,but they dont really work as said if they wanted it they would get it...

to be crystal clear - you cannot and dont want to hide your ip from your isp.

take a look at using an anonymous proxy.

IFFF you could hide your ip then u wouldnt get on a lot of sites as they need your cookies
enabled.

Its not that, if you did not show your IP address how would the data get back to you? Its got to have a return path. It has nothing to do with cookies.

Its like posting a letter to someone and NOT putting an address on it, how is the posty going to deliver it?

You could look at Tor - torproject.org , it does help you "hide" your IP as it runs through serveral layer of relay akin a onion

You cant actually hide your IP from your own ISP - how would the data get back to you ?

The program concerned probably uses some form of proxy and encryption so that the ISP cant actually see the data contents.

At the moment, Virgin (or any other UK ISP's) dont actually monitor data content anyway (Pretty sure that would be illegal). The way that people are being caught with torrents is because the P2P software advertises your IP address so that others can connect to you. I'm not sure that this software would make a difference to that or whether it allows you to download using some modified protocol. If everybody starts using it though then surely P2P would be dead because nobody would be able to connect to anyone else.

very well explained nozza :mad:)

have you looked at using 'Peerguardian' ?

"....PeerGuardian works by blocking and logging all TCP/IP connections to and from known IP ranges used by known P2P foes, such as the RIAA, MPAA, MediaForce, MediaDefender, BaySTP, Ranger, OverPeer, NetPD, and more.

PeerGuardian is a powerful, yet small firewall program that was especially designed for P2P users who want to protect their computers from unauthorized searches instigated by private agencies and corporations......."

only way to stop the tracing to you is by illegally using a "cloned" modem..

Virgin Media use the modems MAC address as your customer id in a way, so when they see what ur up to (well a anti-piracy group would then they would contact virgin), they would recieve the IP from the anti-piracy group, they wouild check their log files to see which ip was given to which mac address, then they look up the mac address in their customer base and that gives them all the info

thats how it works with cable broadband

you could buy a VPS and log in via Putty, and create a proxy going through it or even setup a PPTP and create a VPN to the shell that would encrypt all data coming out of ur pc and hide your real ip to the general public

that peer guardian is a load of balls m8 dont bother with it ive seen it on pc's it shoots up errors when some antiviruses start downloading updates an everything lmao

Back