• Debian

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Kris

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Just wondering how many on here use linux?

I've made the move to linux lately and using it more than Windows at the moment (I have no choice to revert back to Windows now and again to use software needed for my uni work) and I am loving it.

I used to run openSuse but moved to Kubuntu recently.

I think for those that haven't tried linux should give it a shot. Kubuntu has made a good impression on me so far. No hardware issues to report and the install was straight forward. Easy to install software too. A lot of packages for Kubuntu are basically one click installs and organized tidily into the desktop menu. A lot of software included with the OS on the disc too.

Plus it isn't a resource hog like Vista ;)

Everytime i install Linux i spend all my time trying to customise it to run like Windows, so in my case it's pretty pointless.

Everytime i install Linux i spend all my time trying to customise it to run like Windows, so in my case it's pretty pointless.

Which desktop environment? I don't find KDE all THAT different in terms of navigating my way around.

Usually KDE mate, it's not so much trying to make it function like Windows but trying to get familiar Windows apps to run, at the end of the day i took a step back and asked myself what exactly I was trying to accomplish by running Linux and my answer was "I want it to be like Windows", so I unistalled and went back to Windows :)

I just use whichever OS I need in order to accomplish a particular task. I've got so many virtual machines and swappable hard drives it sometimes gets a bit difficult to remember exactly which project is where !

This message was created in a Win98 virtual machine that I use for most internet access. If it ever gets a virus or anything I can restore it in about 30 seconds. It also has the added benefit of keeping forum related stuff off my real PC.

Last edited:
I use Debian in virtual machine (had alot of trouble getting it to dual boot with vista....everything works fine now)

I've been using Ubuntu in VMWare for a while on XP but recently upgraded hdd and dual-booted Ubuntu with XP.

Still use windows as it boots up default but use Ubuntu for dreambox stuff, etc.

I never thought about that, but that's exactly what I was doing. Well put.

I also use ubuntu and FC in vmware for some stuff.

I have an ubuntu server for torrents

I never thought about that, but that's exactly what I was doing. Well put.

Its when you start trying to make windows look more like linux that you know you've earned the first title on the way to l33tness - "Junior Dork"

Ubuntu at home - run mythtv on it

CentOS at work - want the stability of Redhat Enterprise withour the price tag!!!

I'd love to try running myth TV and getting that all sorted but I cant get my hardware to run properly, just doesnt seem to be th drivers for my lot out there!

Mostly cant get the full 1080p res going strong. so windowz it is still.

Back