How do I use Telewest Newsgroups?

z4kir

Inactive User
Reaction score
Could someone please provide a guide or simple instructions on how to use Telewest Newsgroups. (have searched but little confused!) I've got grabit and did manage to get on ntl newsgroups (at my parents) a while back but totally forgotten how i did it.

waste of time m8 everything post is damaged and retention is not very long

Could someone please provide a guide or simple instructions on how to use Telewest Newsgroups. (have searched but little confused!) I've got grabit and did manage to get on ntl newsgroups (at my parents) a while back but totally forgotten how i did it.

find your isp's news server address and apply it to what ever setup your newsreader has. normaly the word news followed by the isp's doman name like: news.ntlworld.com

Download all the groups available then subscribe to a group of your interest.

I use outlook express to view some text stuff from my isp but like the guy mentioned before me, it's almost worthless trying to download binarys from your isp as the service is rubbish.

Check out easynews, premium newsgroups from the comfort of your browser.

any of you lot know of any free newsservers that allow posting?
i really need something decent or i might have to pay for an account :proud:

I know it isn't free, but I highly recommend giganews. Unbeatable service and worth every penny in all honesty.

well by news servince isnt the best but i do fine with it :)

i aagree giganews is awesome

waste of time m8 everything post is damaged and retention is not very long

What??? With the par files I can honestly say I have gotten everything I wanted. OK, 3 day retention is pants, but if your on there everyday, you don't miss anything..

Get free program called xnews, Xnews - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

Install it, and goto server>new - here you type news.blueyonder.co.uk, username and password you leave blank. Hit okay.

Goto Groups>Get Entire Group List - this will take a while, around 30k groups it will collect. You will see a massive list, the only groups worth looking at are the alt.binaries.whatever.whatever

Find a search engine, google "binaries index" should bring up a few. Search for what you want, then see what group its in, find it in your list, double click and it will load up all files. Can take ages on the massive/DVD groups..

Full guide here - Slyck's Guide to Xnews - Home - Installation

Yeah blueyonder's news server has only 4 days retention, still its good and fast. Get a backup server for fills like news.astraweb.com $10 (about 5 quid) gets you 25G, not bad i think and 25 days retention aint all that bad either.

Back