How do I update my XBMC

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to update my xbmc but nothing seem to change. Is it because I instatlled live disc to hdd?

I tried to run
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
This is for 9.11 on an acer, but it might be worth a search in the xbmc forums Bally, I would also recommend exporting ya library if you've spent time tagging etc.
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo and update to the newest version
Hey guys this is my first post. I recently upgraded from my xbox xbmc to an acer revo. I have read many forum posts on installing xbmc live but nothing seemed to work for me. This is how I installed xbmc 9.11 on the revo.

Update: Dec 28. XBMC 9.11 live installer should be fixed now. I haven't tried it though. If you want to update xbmc to 9.11 this guide still applies.

Install XBMC:

1. Download XBMC 9.04
2. Burn the iso to a cd and then reboot your computer.
3. Boot from the live disk and select install to usb or hdd
4. Install xbmc to a 2.0gb usb stick or sd card.
5. After this is finished reboot again
6. Put your usb stick or sd in the revo and turn it on.
7. Push f12 and then select your usb stick or sd.
8. Install to your revo's hd.
9. once installed reboot and see if everything works.

Update XBMC:

1. If everything is working in xbmc go to the terminal by pushing crtl-alt- f2
2. login
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo apt-get remove xbmc-common
6. sudo apt-get install xbmc "This should install xbmc 9.11"
7. sudo apt-get -f install "to fix any conflicts"
8. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade "This should update your skins"
9. Either exit XBMC to the terminal or kill it.
10. Go to nvidia's website and download the newest drivers for ION
11. Move it to your revo's home directory
12. Then type "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run"
13. Follow the install menu.
14. After it finishes run apt-get update again just to make sure everything is updated.
15. Reboot.
16. Enjoy XBMC 9.11

Make sure in xbmc the video render is set to VDPAU.
From Here:
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo and update to the newest version - XBMC Community Forum

I think with Dharma theirs n Addon that'll do it, also try in plugins menu.

sudo apt-get update

only refreshes the content available via the apt-get applications repositories. This is more of a linux based update and is not directly involving xbmc.

sudo apt-get remove xbmc-common
Will use this linux apt-get program to uninstall xbmc and all of its associations

sudo apt-get install xbmc
Will use apt-get to install the latest stable xbmc version.

So basically apt-get is a tool to easily download and install any program you want - as long as it is available in the extensive database it holds the update command is always wise before asking it to install anything.
as an example
sudo apt-get install firefox
will install firefox to your system easily. Linux is great like this.

Word to the wise though- the xbmc builds dont generally have 24p activated and only hold basic lirc information. The drivers for nuvotron (asrock remotes) arent included and you may find samba is not set up out of the box.
Im sure we can get you sorted though mate ;)

Personally I do a fresh install with the latest freaks iso as the dev in charge of that project is an official contributer to the xbmc team and does all the tweaking so you dont have to.

There is a backup program available in addons that is worth doing first. at least you can get it back to the way it is now if the update opens up cans of worms for you

Its actually working pretty well so im thinking shall I bother messing with and updating it...

True but if it latest version brings added features then maybe worth doing

Back