hotel wifi speed

deej01

DW Regular
Reaction score
off holiday in a couple of weeks and wondering how good hotel speeds normally are ? was thinking of taking nowtv which has plex , but unsure if i will have enough speed to stream

It's hit and miss with my experience. Some are good and some really poor. Personally I think you will struggle with most hotels I stayed in was roughly half a Meg. Best I ever got was 3 meg and around 6 or 7 most times it wouldn't load a page. I assume that everyone was on it.

depends where you are going and really what class of hotel you are stopping in. fastest I have had is 100mb each way in south korea. I used an amazon firestick with kodi in china earlier in the year, but then again i stopped in cancun a few years back and the wifi was 3-4mb and they ask you not to download and just to use for browsing.

maybe i will take and hope for the best , if it doesn't work no bother

Checked website they got a premium WiFi but doesn't say for how much , so will see when I get there

I just came unstuck trying to use firestick in a holiday inn in Belfast they had free wifi but they wanted your email address and name to register to device to me, so I did not connect it as I wanted to use kodi.

It's not illegal to use Kodi.....

Kodi it's self is "NOT" illegal.
People who advertise fully loaded firesticks and other devices with excess to to channels that you must pay for will face issues if caught.
Advertising excess to encrypted channels "IS" illegal.
I could not see someone using kodi in a hotel being a problem.
Anyone I know takes there firestick with them on holiday. Some work ok others have connection issues due to poor speeds in the place they stay.
Anywhere ive stayed ranged from half a Meg to 3 or 4 meg. (mostly in Spain and canaries)

You are only watching streaming content that is online you're not actually downloading it To keep.

The thing is I have stopped at many hotels but this one wanted my email address and first and last name, I could have made it up but for 3 days I choose not too.

depends where you are going and really what class of hotel you are stopping in. fastest I have had is 100mb each way in south korea. I used an amazon firestick with kodi in china earlier in the year, but then again i stopped in cancun a few years back and the wifi was 3-4mb and they ask you not to download and just to use for browsing.

South Korea has the fastest internet in the world I believe, so thats why you get 100Mb.

As for hotels, depends on the setup, whats configured, and whats blocked. When we do installs for hotels, we usually use some form of blocking, this could be simple ACLs or firewall rules, but its usually a software layer that blocks categories. Streaming will be one of those that can be blocked.

As for speeds, its really hit an miss. Ive had 500Kbps, and Ive had 3Mbps but again its very hit and miss.

Net was poor free one took ages to load a page so paid for premium was better. Tried to stream from Plex but no chance so gave up. Also net went down a couple of times over the week

Heading to banff, canada for new year and its going to cost something like £7.00 per day for internet in the hotel :( I've been looking for local sim cards to make a hotspot with but data in canada seems very expensive.

Back