HOME MADE - BSD Dual Wan Router

srooth

Inactive User
Reaction score
BSD Dual Wan Router

A How to on BSD Wan routing, The ultimate router turns out being one of the easiet to get running

Well, lets start by giving you an idea of the hardware I will be using for this project, I got hold of some old equipment, my weapons of choice in this case will be a Dual CPU Intel MOBO with 2 P3 500Mhz http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/Intel-Pentium%20III%20500%20-%2080525PY500512%20(BX80525U500512).html Chips each with 512kb of cache, 2 4.3GB IDE Seagates and 4 128 SDRAM modules.

View attachment 12330

I will use the onboard NIC to link all of this into the network and will be using two 3COM Parallel II Nics for the WAN ports, these are 10MBit cards but it will be perfect for this project since I will be bundling far less bandwidth than that. The Onboard NIC is 100Mbit which gives me plenty overhead room when working on the server without any negative effect on my bandwidth. Put everything together and your ready to get going. (PIC below is short 1 NIC)

View attachment 12331

Right, the question your asking is what distro are we going to use, well I have opted for http://pfsense.org/ which is a BSD router project based on FreeBSD 6.0. The project is currently an Alpha but it certainly gets the job done. Download the livecd and your ready to install.

Boot the cd and install the system to your harddrive, setup the required information, I am not going to go into detail about every single setting, if your building a firewall/router like this you should know what an IP address is :p

Once you have your devices all configured and your ready to get your load balancing working simply do the following;

Setup the pools

Right, the question your asking is what distro are we going to use, well I have opted for PfSense which is a BSD router project based on FreeBSD 6.0. The project is currently an Alpha but it certainly gets the job done. Download the livecd and your ready to install.

Boot the cd and install the system to your harddrive, setup the required information, I am not going to go into detail about every single setting, if your building a firewall/router like this you should know what an IP address is :p

Once you have your devices all configured and your ready to get your load balancing working simply do the following;

Setup the pools

1. visit services -> load balancer.
2. delete any pools that are there that do not work.
3. add a new pool and call it loadbalancetowans or something descriptive.
4. set the description to load balancing from lan -> internet or something descriptive.
5. set the type to gateway.
6. in the Monitor IP box, put the IP address of a host upstream from the router that can be polled (via tcp socket) to ensure link is up.
7. in the IP box type in the lan IP address of the router.
8. add a Monitor IP and router IP for each additional OPT interface.
9. click save.

View attachment 12332

Create NAT-Rules for your WAN-POOL

1. visit firewall>NAT>Outbound.
2. enable advanced outbound nat.
3. check the automatically created rules.
4. create rules for all your internal networks to map to OPT interfaces.. (one rule for each internal network to each opt-interface in the pool).
5. Apply the changes.

View attachment 12333

From there it should work, if not simply change the default gateway in the default firewall rule to your newly created pool

View attachment 12334

The rest of the configuration is pretty standard stuff and just remember to backup EVERYTIME before you get a bright idea and want to change something.

THATS IT GOOD LUCK

WOW.....look what i said in the linux router thread you created mate.....well done!!

:)

As all the girls say The bigger the better: tosser :

nice tutorial mate

might give this ago someday soon........... i knew all those old bits of computers would come in handy for something

Thats a blinding tut??
Just one question?? Does it work?
I was to lazy to actually read the tut and it looks to much like hard work for me.
I wanne see some screen shots of "some amazing speeds!"
Thats all i ever hear when talk of wan routers and wingate, but i never seen it happen yet and don't have much faith in it,but know it must be possible.

Did you submit your guide to hxxp://www.netlife.co.za/content/view/34/34/ as well?

Lol thanks for the tut, iv personally given up with dual wan anything at the moment... What a waste of time the edimax routers turned out to be.

My self and my company have submited quite a few articles on netlife. as a CISCO engineer, you meet and talk to a lot of people, in the network industry. and netlife has some very Knowledgeable people.

So don't dis the work.....

I think I'd rather have 2 nics in my PC teamed with Wingate or a little dual wan router sitting next to my PC instead of that monstrosity. :D

Does it come with it's own diesel generator? :banana:

Back