Sensible Topic Holiday booked but dont want to go. (deposit)

river4ever

river4ever
Reaction score
I have a holiday booked for canaria islands in mid september. It cost £1300 and deposit has been paid a couple of months ago of £120.
As far as i know the full payment needs to be paid 8 weeks before departure (mid july)
So £1180 is expected to be paid on that date.

Now i dont want to go with current events worldwide, even if things have “settled”down by mid september. I dont want to tell JET2 that im not going “yet” as i am hoping to get my £120 back if holiday is cancelled due to coronavirus.
I know september is a away.

But come mid july will they take £1180 from my account?
At what stage do they tell me holiday is cancelled? (if at all)

(river)

Im in the same situation Stevie.
Except mine is paid up for September.
You only have 2 options im affraid mate.

You can cancel now and lose your deposit, but getting through to them is a nightmare as they have turned off all incoming calls and are rarely replying to emails, you can login to there app using your booking reference and cancel through that, but some people report the app shows the full cost of the holiday is lost and not just the deposit, so maybe its best to try and contact them by email to request a call back.

Your next option is to pay the full balance by the due date, then if they cancel the holiday you will get the whole amount back.

The FCO advise no essential travel indefinitely.
But Jet 2 are advising there customers that normal flight plans will resume on the 17th of June. But in truth this is just a review date, and if the FCO has not changed its advice then Jet2 will have to extend this date, i would imagine July, August and September will then be effected and your holiday will be canceled by them.
Im waiting to see what happens on the 16th of June before i make a decision.
If they extend there date to cover September then ill let them Cancel, but if they dont i will just forfeit the deposit and cancel myself.
Because once you reach 70 days prior to departure the ammount you lose starts to go up as stated in the T&C's

Last edited:
Wife is supposed to be going to Portugal in 2 weeks, I know the flight has been cancelled as easyjet have mailed me. Travel company are saying nothing atm though.

They will make you wait it out mate, if you can take the hit, then lose £120. Otherwise you've got to play the long game.

I've got 5 days in Barca in sept! Best be over by then ;)

They will make you wait it out mate
Exactly, and they are not following guidance from the foreign office .
By telling customers there holiday is not effected after the 16th of June is bollox
Its just a way of hanging onto your money longer to keep them afloat.

With cancellations, the sooner you cancel the less it costs you. Below is the rates that Jet2 apply if you cancel

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received% of total booking price retained by Jet2holidays
70 days or moreLoss of deposit
69-57 days30% (if greater than deposit)
56-43 days50%
42-29 days70%
28-15 days90%
14 days or less100

With cancellations, the sooner you cancel the less it costs you. Below is the rates that Jet2 apply if you cancel

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received% of total booking price retained by Jet2holidays
70 days or moreLoss of deposit
69-57 days30% (if greater than deposit)
56-43 days50%
42-29 days70%
28-15 days90%
14 days or less100
I will just add to this, people have been told to keep there emails regarding cancelations and refunds due to the slow response times from the tour operators, this then provides proof that you have requested a refund/cancelation if you go past the dates outlined in the T&C's so you dont incur more charges due to slow replies.

Just had a refund for holiday 6 may, on website and phone was offered full price voucher plus 100 quid off next holiday if booked and taken before 30 april 2021 or 60 quid if taken after. Fill in the form on manage my booking and they will contact you approx 1 week before your holiday. Cash is best incase Jet2 go bust.

I meant to say we where offered vouchers but chose to have a full refund just in case Jet2 went bust.

Its a tricky one.
Was just wanting the £120 in my pocket rather than theres. Will just cancel it as it seems there dragging it out.
I dont really want to pay it off then being a chance of going as i think this bloody virus will be about longer than september.
But seems these tour operators are make a lot of money for doing nothing at the same time. As they got £120 of me for “nothing” and im sure theres hundreds of thousands like me just taking the hit and not going before the full payment is expected.

Its a tricky one.
Was just wanting the £120 in my pocket rather than theres. Will just cancel it as it seems there dragging it out.
I dont really want to pay it off then being a chance of going as i think this bloody virus will be about longer than september.
But seems these tour operators are make a lot of money for doing nothing at the same time. As they got £120 of me for “nothing” and im sure theres hundreds of thousands like me just taking the hit and not going before the full payment is expected.
When is your balance due date?

If you pay the balance use a credit card for extra cover. Your Jet2 holiday will have Atol protection as well so you are fully covered if they go bust.
If you are 100% sure you don’t wanna go then you are probably better cancelling and losing your deposit imo.

Just checked there now. 9th of July mate.
I would wait till the 16th of June then mate and see if they extend there date to cover September.
Then they will have to cancel and you will get it all back.
You can also pay with paypal then claim it back if they do cancel. Wish i had now.

See this is what my problem with it is..... jet2 want me to pay it all by 9th of july. But they cant say for sure if holiday is going happen.
I know im maybe thinking ahead a month to quick, but come the 9th of july they should “yes” or “no” holiday is going to happen.
They expect me to confirm this by paying over £1200 for holiday that might not happen. At what stage to they decide your “not” going?
This even applies to people thats flight is due to depart in start of june, have they got money back?
Or they waiting to be told there going 5 weeks before departure?

Im in the same position but so far we only paid for flights with Aer Lingus. It is booked for the end of this month.

They offered us to reschedule the flights for free but we have to pay the difference in the cost for the new flights which for all the flights i check is about 50% the cost of the original flight. Seems like a money making racket to me since the cost of the original flights was expensive in the first place so we decided not to reschedule as there is a good chance the flights will be cancelled and we get a full refund.

See this is what my problem with it is..... jet2 want me to pay it all by 9th of july. But they cant say for sure if holiday is going happen.
I know im maybe thinking ahead a month to quick, but come the 9th of july they should “yes” or “no” holiday is going to happen.
They expect me to confirm this by paying over £1200 for holiday that might not happen. At what stage to they decide your “not” going?
This even applies to people thats flight is due to depart in start of june, have they got money back?
Or they waiting to be told there going 5 weeks before departure?
Its catch 22 mate.
All holidays till the 16th of June are canceled.
So everybody up till that date are due refunds.
Then this date is reviewed again, if its extended till lets say 16th of August then everybody upto that date are due refunds.

This is where they have you by the bollocks, if you dont pay the balance by the due date regardless if the holiday is going ahead or not its you that have broken there terms and conditions so you have canceled your own holiday and will lose your deposit.

They are crafty f@ckers playing it by 2 months at a time because they know people will have to pay there balance before the 70 day cancelation time frame.

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has said it will take up to six months to refund passengers for flights cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

He told the BBC the airline was struggling to process a backlog of 25 million refunds with reduced staff
Ryanair says refunds to take up to six months

Back