help with Second hand car laws?

irlam

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought a renault clio for £1500 on the 4th of this month (july)

2 weeks later the timing belt snaps (gutted)

so i ring the garage up and tell him i think the timing belt has snapped,

to which he has said get the car back to him and he will get his mechanic to have a look at it.

So i get the car back to garage which costs me £80 to get it towed there.

he has just rang me saying it will cost £500 to sort out and as a good will gesture he will pay £200

towards repairs leaving me with a £300+£80 tow bill for repairs to the car (NOT HAPPY)

he says no warranty will cover a timing belt

anyway i ask him for my money back and he has said no

what are my rights for a refund?

is it just sold as seen from a garage forecourt?

any legal advice/help please

from what i know and plz do check this info

i would think you could reject the car due to the fact that there has been a big problem with it with in a few weeks ,which you wouldn’t expect

the other thing you could try is the Sale of Goods Act 1979

which says

be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it, and
be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)
If the second hand car does not meet these requirements you have a right to claim against the dealer for breach of contrat

did you pay cash for the car ?

have a read here lot more info

Second hand cars: your rights - Your rights: buying second hand cars - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights

Did you get the service history with it and did the manual tell you when you should be changing the timing belt? They will argue that the manual says change timing belt at 60k, they sold it to you at 59k, you drove it for a week to 60k and didn't change belt, you are at fault. Depends also really on the terms of sale. Was it fit for purpose when he sold it to you?

Back