Help with Android for complete newbie

gazupnorth

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hiya everyone, just after a bit of advice about getting our new Samsung Galaxy Ace up and running. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Android so I was after a little help.
I think that we are on Android 2.2 (if that makes sense) - is there any point and is it possible to upgrade to Android 4 (I think that its called ice-cream sundae with chocolate topping !!). What are the benefits and risks of upgrading??

When I have downloaded a few free apps from google play I have noticed that they have annoying pop-up adverts at the bottom of the screen , is there any way to get rid of these. If I download the full app from newsgroups, will the adverts disappear ?? Is it easy to install the full apps if I grab them from Newsgroups or do I have to "Crack" or modify the phone first ??

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Hiya everyone, just after a bit of advice about getting our new Samsung Galaxy Ace up and running. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Android so I was after a little help.
I think that we are on Android 2.2 (if that makes sense) - is there any point and is it possible to upgrade to Android 4 (I think that its called ice-cream sundae with chocolate topping !!). What are the benefits and risks of upgrading??

When I have downloaded a few free apps from google play I have noticed that they have annoying pop-up adverts at the bottom of the screen , is there any way to get rid of these. If I download the full app from newsgroups, will the adverts disappear ?? Is it easy to install the full apps if I grab them from Newsgroups or do I have to "Crack" or modify the phone first ??

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be appreciated.
ice cream can be put on an Ace, but there is nothing from Samsung or Googl? officially.
so, as you are a noob, I'd say NO . (personally, I'd rather have a phone that worked!)

How To Get Cracked Paid Android Apps for Free The Easy Way

also wondered what "rooting" means and what are the benefits/risks of doing it ????

I know everyone has to start somewhere but it does kind of expect a certain degree of knowledge from a technical standpoint, If you don't know, don't mess.

If you have never rooted or flashed anything in your life other than your wife or girlfriend, and if your lucky both, then it's a sure fire way to brick your phone (unless you want to take the risk)

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-root-your-samsung-galaxy-ace-37385/

This is one of many custom roms for example you can load:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535536

Last edited:
Back