Help with an electric garage door.

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Morning

Got a call from the parents this morning saying they could not get the electric garage door open. Went round there and managed to get it open with the overridge system but the electrics where not working. Traced a fault to blown fuse in the plug but then found the door belt drive has come out of sequence. Door lowers closes then opens again about six inches. I need to adjust the belt so it stops in the closed position. Before I go do the route of calling the enginners I am hoping theres a motor adjust as I dont want to play with the belt tensioners. Theres a couple of phots attaced at show how far out the adjustment is. The black box should sit in square grove on the tensioner in the closed position. There are no limited switches I can see and it was fitted in 2007 with a 5 year warranty. I have tried looking for a motor installation manual online. The motor is a Novamatic 553. Does any one have any knowledge of these.

Attachments

• IMAG0865.jpg
    IMAG0865.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0863.jpg
    IMAG0863.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried taking the belt of the motor, close the door manually and then re-attaching the belt? it sounds like it could be a couple of notches out of sequence.

[video=youtube_share;YTm3tf5G5GE]https://youtu.be/YTm3tf5G5GE[/video]

Last edited:
At a guess I would say it has driven past a failed limit switch and blown the fuse on over current. That is possibly the reason the door is closing then opening back up as it thinks its hit an obstruction. Might be safer getting it looked at by a door engineer. Often things can be home repaired to work but by doing so a critical safety element is inadvertently bypassed. Wouldn't like to think someone got trapped by the door due to this. :(

I'd say definitely find someone who knows the system well. I have a similar system and there no limit switches. It senses end-of-travel from the increase in current to the motor the first time it is powered up (opens and closes very slowly first time) thereafter it uses pulse-count, as it 'knows' where the ends are. It has a manual release, so it has to be able to do this, as there is no way of guaranteeing the sliding block will always engage at the same point on the belt (chain in my case).
So, from what you say, it sounds like there is a malfunction somewhere.
Info on these things is very scarce, I've been asked to look at a few and usually end up walking away as I'd hate to make it worse or dangerous.

There is no obvious limit switches on this model, the previous model had limit switches that I replaced years ago. I was guessing this one could be a smart motor measuring the distance it has wound/travelled. Ive got the phone number now of who fitted it and I may give there service department a call tomorrow and ask when that they think. I'll also have a look at the video above and make an informed decision.

Thanks for you input.

Just to let you all know I solved it, I was right the motor must measure travel as there is not limit switches. You need to program top level and bottom level and its simply right hand button for 3 seconds then push the up button until it reaches full stroke and release then repeat for the bottom. I found it on you tube. The link is here.

YouTube

Thanks

Just to let you all know I solved it, I was right the motor must measure travel as there is not limit switches. You need to program top level and bottom level and its simply right hand button for 3 seconds then push the up button until it reaches full stroke and release then repeat for the bottom. I found it on you tube. The link is here.

YouTube

Thanks
the second video is better mate as it shows the full programming ie for obstruction stopping etc

YouTube

Thanks

Well done m8, nice find :)

Back