Help rooting a HTC V ONE

CoolHandLuke

Inactive User
Reaction score
I would like to root my HTC one V and install a custom rom but I have never done it before and would like a bit advice.

(A) Check your device will not be network locked ? How do I check this

(B) Bootloader should be unlocked on your HTC One V. So unlock your HTC One V bootloader. How do I do this ?

(C) Ensure that your HTC One V is rooted with custom recovery installed, otherwise root it first according to it’s current official firmware base ? How do I do this ?

Also I see a lot of people use revoke but my phone is not on there web site list ?

(D) when you root your phone and put a custom rom on it, does it unlock the phone for any network provider.

(E) This is a contract phone still 6 month left on it so how do you back up the original firmware incase you need to send it back for repair.

Cheers for any info people the main reason I want to custom rom my phone is to debadge it and get rid of the virgin media and HTC software that eats the phone, would be nice to try differnt platforms aswell.

Also is this a good rom to try " Suprimo Custom Rom " Ive read its the best one for HTC one V although its a bit dated I see it,s nearly a year old.

Ah doesnt matter Ive read this and it suggests I cant update the phone because it's network locked.

Did your phone have any company logo on it ?
Do you purchased your phone from a mobile operator store ?
Do you got your phone under contract with any sim provider ?
Does your phone blocks when you insert another operators sim ?
Do you see mobile operators logo when you switch on/off your phone ?

If any one or more question’s answer is "YES" then it is confirmed your phone is locked with network and you need to skip normal update process . Wait for particular network firmware update ?

BOLLOX

If it's bootloader unlockable you can still flash custom ROMs, that way network updates won't matter.

have a read of this below, also if you have a look on XDA there should be a thread with links to stock ROMs if you ever need them

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1598964

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Cheers lads and thanks for the tips Ive completed step one and unlocked the boot loader I followed this tut and got my token off htcdev.com here is the tut on how to unlock your bootloader if anyone's doing the same.

Note: After doing unlocking bootloader, all your data/apps are gone so make a backup to your PC first.
You will need to run the initial setup again.

1. Go Here "http://www.htcdev.com/" and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
2. Download These Fastboot Files
3. Make a new folder on your C: drive called fastboot.
4. Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
5. Go Here HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
6. Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
7. Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
8. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
9. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
10. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
11. plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
(windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
(Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
12. cd to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
13. type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
14. select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
15. paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
16. download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
17. type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
18. The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Congratulations You Have Successfully Unlocked Your Bootloader

NEXT STEP IS TO ROOT THE PHONE WILL DO THAT AFTER SUPPA COS THAT TOOK IS NEARLY 2 HOURS LOL

DONE Im buzzing managed to root my first mobile lol Heres the simple tut....

I am happy to present to you the guide to root your VirginMobile One V.

So Virmin Media One V users had problems rooting their phones and then it was proved that their software was different. So, I modified the kernel ramdisk to include the SuperSU files and other files to help root VM One V

I had to just add few lines of code and transfer a few file here and there.

INSTRUCTIONS:

UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER FIRST YOU CAN NOT ROOT YOUR PHONE UNTIL BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED

Download the zip file and extract it to your Desktop or something.
Put your phone into fastboot mode(Vol Down + Power and then with volume buttons scroll to fastboot and press power button)
If on Windows open ---windows.bat file
If on Mac open ---mac.sh
And If on Linux open ---linux.sh
Let it do it's thing
Scroll down with Volume buttons and Reboot
Your phone will now be rooted.
If you have problems with WiFi just reboot and it will be fixed

THERE IS TWO ZIP FILES ATTACHED - One is for HTC one V on Vermin Media, the other one is for all other Network providers.

Attachments

• r1-primo-superboot-virginmobile.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • r1-primo-superboot.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Can someone please give me some advice how to back up my full phone including bootloader and firmware Im struggling to understand the Instructions of the site ? I obviously want my stock RUU saved and my setting's before I try a custom rom.

Has anyone got a program or a PC app that backs up your phone Image etc Im a bit dubious to do anything else until I have it backed up.

Cheers for any advice and thanks for the links to get is this far :mad:)

Last edited:
Thanks seanicca after a bit reading I have decided to pass on the custom roms, there reports of bugs with everyone ive read, like the camercorder dont work, messenger dont work, skype wont work, on every Image there seems to be a bug problem.

The most stable seems to be AOKP ROM or PACman and even still they have quite a few bugs.

All I have done is used Titainium Back up to strip down my HTC Ive deleted face book, tweeter, flicker, movie player, virgin store,HTC hub, and lots more little tweeks my phone is pure stripped down and it works much better.

I will do that CWM recovery now while its stripped down for future installs as there's no Bloatware.

Cheers for that it's a much simpler tut then I was looking at cheers.

Hi my name is steve,i was wondering if anybody successfully rooted their virgin mobile HTC One v?

Back