Connectivity Help please! Can't connect to internet after virus removal...

MissOxyDon

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all :)

My uncle gave me his HP laptop yesterday to fix as he's having problems connecting to the internet. It's a few years old and running Vista. The only Browser he has on it is IE. His antivirus is a basic TalkTalk Security one.
Straight away I found a virus (Gen:Variant.Sirefef.11), I managed to install and run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Scanner and between them they have removed the virus.
But I still cannot access the internet.
I am connected by wifi but it's local access only. I've tried all the windows troubleshooting stuff like obtaining a new ip etc but nothing will work. Also tried disabling firewalls, defender and antivirus.
I've been Googleing since last night but to no avail :(
Can anyone help?

TIA x

My uncle gave me his HP laptop yesterday to fix as he's having problems connecting to the internet. It's a few years old and running Vista. The only Browser he has on it is IE. His antivirus is a basic TalkTalk Security one.
Straight away I found a virus (Gen:Variant.Sirefef.11), I managed to install and run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Scanner and between them they have removed the virus.
I am connected by wifi but it's local access only. I've tried all the windows troubleshooting stuff like obtaining a new ip etc but nothing will work. Also tried disabling firewalls, defender and antivirus.
Can anyone help?

TIA x

well the 1st thing I would do is put windows 7 or 8 in it I had this problem vista is slow as hell
could never get on line put windows 7 ulm and fast as hell .
format the drive this will help,if your near me I will show you how to do easy,i have windows 8 don't like this as much but my I 5 and i7 run fast .
vista to slow didn't work was crap for me.
let me know,i have all ready to help.

Can anyone help?

TIA x

I'm inclined to agree with mapman, but there are a few things you can try first.

Depending on the virus, Malwarebytes sometimes needs to be run in safe mode for complete removal.
Have you done that ?

If / when you have done that, restart in safe mode with networking to see if you can access the net.
This will load essential programs only, and eliminate potential problems from firewall, av, etc.

If you can access the net, try one of the free online scanners to confirm you are now clear.

If you can't access the net, you could try downloading another browser, like Firefox, on the pc you are using now, and installing it on your laptop. IE may just be corrupted.

Another alternative would be to try system restore back to before the problem started.

If you get it running (or even if you don't) many laptops originally loaded with Vista will run a Win 7 version.
The "advantages" of Win 8 are dubious at best, if you don't have a touch screen.
There is a program you can download from MS to check Win 7 compatibility with the laptop, before you start.

If you do decide to load Win 7, remember to back up all personal data before formatting.

Before reinstalling - try a clean boot.

To clean boot:

• Start
  • Search for msconfig.exe
  • On the General tab
  • Choose Selective startup, but untick Load startup items
  • Go to the Services tab
  • Tick the Hide all Microsoft services option in the bottom left corner, then click the Disable all button
  • Ok.
  • Restart.
If that fixes the problem you'll have to turn on each service one at a time, with a reboot between each, until you find the problem. I'd start with TalkTalk's HomeSafe software as it sounds like it might be a firewall conflict.

Thank you all for your help.
I didn't get chance to have a go today but as soon as I can I'll be trying it.
I think putting Windows 7 on it would be a last resort as my uncle is quite stuck in his ways and would probably shout at me if anything's different lol But Mapman I would be interested in putting Windows 7 on my little boy's lappy, as it has Windows 8 on it, and it's rubbish and really slow :( I'm up in the North East tho and your location doesn't give me much of a clue where you are haha ;)
It'll probably be Monday before I get chance to do anything (when the kids are back at school) but I'll let you know how I get on :)

Glasgow bro,i can come over with the stuff I will let you do but will talk you over all so you know how to re do if needed.

Thank you all for your help.
I didn't get chance to have a go today but as soon as I can I'll be trying it.
I think putting Windows 7 on it would be a last resort as my uncle is quite stuck in his ways and would probably shout at me if anything's different lol But Mapman I would be interested in putting Windows 7 on my little boy's lappy, as it has Windows 8 on it, and it's rubbish and really slow :( I'm up in the North East tho and your location doesn't give me much of a clue where you are haha ;)
It'll probably be Monday before I get chance to do anything (when the kids are back at school) but I'll let you know how I get on :)
Try the free update to 8.1 before installing 7, you can find it on the Windows Store (you may need to install other updates via Windows Update before it will show).

Also if it's Windows 8 RT you won't be able to downgrade to 7 - it's hardware isn't compatible. Please, check before taking mapman up on his offer.

Not all devices are able to downgrade too, drivers not always available.

Windows 8 and 8.1 for me is very quick - still doesn't mean I actually like it!

Before doing anything drastic! I would first do as @danforth suggested - scan in Safe Mode using Malwarebytes. Reboot between scans, do Full Scans and do them until you get two clear scans.

Then, bearing in mind this is a 'design feature' of Vista, try connecting to the router using an ethernet cable to establish whether it's ALL networking that's affected. I've had dozens of instances of this fault and never really got to the bottom of how I 'fixed' it.

In Safe Mode with Networking disable all firewall and security programs. If you establish a connection enable each of firewall and security programs one at a time and see if the fault returns. Try the same process in normal startup.

In the Network and Sharing Centre:

Vista_Network_Center.jpg

Turn on all the options from File Sharing down, on the network properties disable IPv6.

If you're still not connecting remove ALL security software. If it's Norton or McAfee, use the removal tools to get rid of the bits the uninstaller doesn't get, then reboot. I know you said it's Talk Talk basic but it would have shipped with a mainstream product on as a trial - part is probably still lurking there.

Of course, since Vista is such a crock of sh*t, you may take it back to your Uncle's and find it all works fine! Vista often struggles with later wireless protocols such as WPA.

Let us know when it works and what you did so we can add it to the list of 'apparently unrelated things that fix Vista networking' :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You all for your help :)
I wish I could say it helped but I tried all of the easier options but still couldn't get an internet connection, not even with an ethernet cable. So in the end I had to give in and install Windows 7 instead. All is fine now :)

Thank You all for your help :)
I wish I could say it helped but I tried all of the easier options but still couldn't get an internet connection, not even with an ethernet cable. So in the end I had to give in and install Windows 7 instead. All is fine now :)

Another Vista mystery, Win 7 was always the best long term solution if your hardware could cope.

Glad it's sorted, and thanks for letting us know. All too often, silence is the common response to "success", which leaves none of us any wiser.:)

most likely your winsock is corrupt

run via command line

netsh winsock reset

and then reboot

Remember and take a backup image now, then if the worst happens you can go back to that and save the hastle of reinstalling 7 and any custom drivers.

Back