Help DD-WRT'ing my Linksys WRT320N

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I posted a thread last time with wrong model number. Want to give it another go this time as im sick of using the VM Super Hub. So have set it to modem only mode and got everything up and running but want to get DD-WRT on the router.

Went to Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com entered model number. It recommends V24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 14896 but underneath that theres 8 different downloads so im confused...

Can someone help me with a few directions on what I need to download and how to do it please :)

FW currently on stock linksys Firmware Version: 1.0.05

Last edited:
Glad you have got it sorted, that's what you have to do, put the mini on 1st and then the image that you want. (Some thing in the boot of the mini dump that they need to get them going)

What settings you after? you might as well sit down with a cuppa and have a play, there's flipping loads!

I have DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) std (SVN revision 9526) SHE'S QUITE AN OLD LINKSYS

I used to have it set up as a dual wan using road runner....but then reverted back when i nearly bricked it! lololol!

There are several different distributions of the DD-WRT firmware.

The mini contains all the features of the standard distribution, with the exception of chillispot, nocat, rflow, kaid, CIFS client, SNMP, IPv6, and MMC/SD card support.

The standard (std) distribution includes all features, with the exception of VOIP.

The standard-nokaid (std-nokaid) distribution includes all features of standard, with kaid removed to free some flash space.

The VOIP distribution includes all features, with kaid removed to make room for Milkfish. The VPN edition includes OpenVPN but does not include IPv6, CIFS client, or kaid. The micro edition is a stripped down version designed for the WRT54G v5 and other 2MB router models.

Thanks for reply, do be honest I dont think im going to use most of the settings, but would like to increase power of wifi to reach blind spots, do I just increase TX Power from 71 to say 100?

Yeah man you could do, just watch out it don't get megga hot....

TX PowerThis value ranges from 1 - 251 mw, default value is 28mw. A safe incre
ase of up to 70 would be suitable for most users. Higher power settings are not recommended for users due to excess heat generated by the radio chipset, which can affect the life of the router.

AfterburnerThe default value is Off. This should only be used with WRT54GS Models and only in conjunction with other Linksys "GS" wireless clients that also support Linksys "Speedbooster" technology.

WiFi / Bluetooth Coexistence

Analysts predict that in 2010 out of 1.4 billion mobile phones shipped over 200 million will haveWiFi (News - Alert).

To distinguish them from non-cellular WiFi phones, these are called “dual-mode” phones. All dual-mode phones will also have Bluetooth.

When you use a Bluetooth headset for a cellular voice call, the handset’s cellular and Bluetooth radios stream simultaneously. Similarly, when you are using a dual-mode phone to make a call over WiFi, the WiFi and Bluetooth connections are simultaneously active. That’s a problem, since they run in the same frequency band. Their technologies are quite different and incompatible.
WiFi shares the medium (the radio spectrum) using a contention method that transmits only after first sensing that the spectrum is idle. If the packets get corrupted, it backs off to a lower speed that is less susceptible to interference, and retransmits. Bluetooth uses a “frequency hopping” technique that transmits very briefly on a narrow slice of spectrum, then instantly hops to a different frequency for its next transmission. If it hops into the middle of a transmitting WiFi packet, it can corrupt it. After a few such occurrences, the WiFi transmitter backs off to a lower speed. The lower speed transmission takes longer to deliver a complete packet, so it is statistically more likely to get zapped by another Bluetooth hop.

Attachments

• 28-12-201109-10-06.jpg
    28-12-201109-10-06.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4
You wouldnt happen to know how I can connect a VM WDNA3200 Wireless Dongle to my linksys router its only giving my WPS option.

Quick question, can I use this just as a wifi access point and use my original linksys wrt54gs as my router?

You wouldnt happen to know how I can connect a VM WDNA3200 Wireless Dongle to my linksys router its only giving my WPS option.

I've just been playing with some thing like this, have a look to see if it's compatible with the router the USB dongle that you have, I've just looked at one and it's mostly compatible with pcmcia cards where you put your simm into one of them, WPS options seem to be looking for one of these, does the router have a pcmcia slot?

Quick question, can I use this just as a wifi access point and use my original linksys wrt54gs as my router?

Yes mate, you should be able to, it's often difficult to get routers bridged if they are different makes, firmware, but can be done if you get your head around how they work in bridge mode/access point etc.

So turn the dd-wrt into a repeater in effect.

When you say "wifi" access point? you want things to be able to connect to this, and then what about the wrt54gs, you want that to share it's internet connectivity with the DD-WRT one?

All I want is Wifi access point upstairs and downstairs so it connects to which ever is stronger. I have the router in my room but when im on the other side of the house the signal is very weak around 10%

yeah a wireless bridge would do this mate, I wrote a tut on it, just follow the same procedure, so your
wrt54gs
will send it's wi-fi to the DD-WRT (if the existing router has this option) This is how you increase the wireless range.

So to increase the wireless range I just need to set one of my devices to wireless bridge mode (probably the WRT54GS) does it need a lan cable going to it though? If somone can show me a screenshot of the setting page that would be great.

If only it was that easy, you have to enable wep, set up a static ADMIN page for both routers, so they don't share the same log in credentials, and some other settings like mac address of the base station, you have to let them both know where one sends the wi-fi and where one receives the signal etc.

Here's a tut I made a while ago that might help explain things for you mate wi-fi bridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Back