Help - Cleaning & Decorating Advice

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Taking a week off to do some "Spring cleaning" at my mum's house.

Due to the cold and long winter, the kitchen window was kept shut and the extractor fan (on the window) is crap, the walls (wallpapered and painted over by housing association) and kitchen cabinet doors has a build up of cooking smoke/steam/grease stains from the cooker (no extractor hood).

What should I do...
Paint over the stains or "wash" over the stains with a vinegar/water solution and then paint over?

Exactly the same thing in the bathroom, window kept shut and a crappy extractor fan (on the window), half the wall is wallpapered (other half is tiled) and painted over, there are signs of mould - black spots near the window and ceiling due to condensation build up. Also the radiator was painted over 10 years ago but now the coat of paint is cracking up/peeling.

What should I do...
Wipe down walls/ceiling with some disinfectant and then paint over? Paint over the radiator?

Also what paint should I use as both rooms still gets a lot of moisture even with the window open.

Thanks

firstly suger soap to clean and degrease all surfaces and i would be replacing the extractors to pervent repeat causes
as for the radiator have a look on ebay or guntree for replacement as will be quicker and cost not much more than the paint
also more economical

firstly suger soap to clean and degrease all surfaces and i would be replacing the extractors to pervent repeat causes
as for the radiator have a look on ebay or guntree for replacement as will be quicker and cost not much more than the paint
also more economical

Agree with the Sugar Soap to clean and degrease; but replacing the extractors and radiators will be a no no in a housing association house, although a request to the housing association to update the house would be in order. I assume with extractor in the windows that they are single glazed so, it should be in order for the Housing Association to put in double glazing.
Has the house had it's annual Gas and Electric Check ? The Housing Association has to carry this out by law ! If not been done recently then remind them of their responsibility and list things like the extractors (that's if they are electric and not just the old wind powered antiquities) as being unsuitable, and perhaps explain that central heating is not working to it's full potential and perhaps needs new radiators.
The mould as you say bleach and then used anti- fungal/mildew paint.
If your mother is left with the same situation for next winter then grab a few de-humidifier packs from the local pound shop, this is what many caravanners use when they lay up their caravans for the winter as damp is the number one enemy of caravans and I can confirm they do their job.

The housing association do annual gas checks (as my mum has GCH), I don't recall seeing any electric check receipts but they did some earthing 6 months ago about 10 years too late!!!

These flats used to belong to the council until a housing association took over, they did spend a bit of money doing every flat up except for the privately owned ones, once they started doing the flats up they realised they were spending too much money. So instead of Vent Axia they bought Manrose extractor fans, they put them in the bathrooms and kitchens but not in the toilets, Baxi boilers instead of Potterton and one coat of paint on all the walls throughout the flat.

The housing association won't change/fix anything unless it is broke so no radiator or extractor change.

I have used dehumidifier packs from Robert Dyas but they don't seem to be good enough (moisture/water hits the max level far too soon).

What would you suggest the kind of paint (matt/vinyl or something else) should I use for the kitchen and bathroom as I believe the sugar soap will "wash away" the coat of paint in both rooms.

Thanks

As I said for the bathroom I would use an anti-fungal/mould/mildew paint, B&Q or any other DIY store should do a Matt or Silk Vinyl, I prefer Silk but that is just personal taste. To keep costs down I would use ordinary Matt or Silk Vinyl for the kitchen.
What Housing Associations do as far as repairs are concerned and what they are meant to do varies considerably and it may be worthwhile investigating what your Housing Association is supposed to do and what standards they are meant to achieve.

I would personally go and spray the whole place down with some degreaser like mister muscle/fairy and go back the following day.....everything should wipe off really easily with plenty of water.

No Wiko's near me just a couple of DIY shops selling bottle concentrate Sugar Soap around £2-4, nothing in Robert Dyas.

I did not do much decorating over Easter as I took a tumble coming down from the kitchen sink!

Anyway £10 off when you spend £50 in Wickes - SD10M14 code for use online or over the phone
or
£20 off when you spend £100 in Wickes - SD20M14 code for use online or over the phone

Both valid until Monday 12th May 2014.

i don`t use sugar soap as it can leave a residue, i use soda crystals to wash down grease nicotine and the like. its about 50p a bag from supermarkets. there are a couple of things you can use on the walls and stops mildew or damp spots coming through. any oil based {paint thinned down with white spirit} will cover and help it stop coming back. an eggshell paint for example.
or alternative wash down , anything that won`t come off completely touch up with oil based white undercoat then apply either silk, bathroom and kitchen paint {basically the same thing so which ever is cheaper} or my favorite soft sheen {not as shiny as vinyl silk} . these are wipeable, waterproof and great for what you describe. also a dehumidifier is a must if you haven`t really got a way of getting fresh air in.

Back