Help....Anyone know how to retreive a file...

Ajbathija

Inactive User
Reaction score
Help....Anyone know how to retreive a file that I have copied a newer version on to...

Heres what I have done.

I have copied a newer version of a file to replace the older version. However, I now want to recover the old version. But I did confirm that I wanted to repace the old version when Windows prompted me.

Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Ajay

The only thing you can try is a system restore (if you have it enabled) or reinstall the software (assuming it's a software system file).

Last edited:
I copied an older outlook.pst onto a newer outlook.pst

Therefore I have over written the newer file with th older one. What I want to do i recover the newer one!!!!

What a mess!!!!!!

Hi. Thanks for that but it still did not work. Because they all recover deleted files. I copied one file over the other. None of these recovery programs can reverse this.

Any other ideas??

Thanks again.....but still no joy. It recovered other files and folders, but not the pst file I needed.

PLease keep the ideas coming.

Regards

Ajay

Thanks again.....but still no joy. It recovered other files and folders, but not the pst file I needed.

PLease keep the ideas coming.

Regards

Ajay

Msconfig

Ok you could try this see if its going to be any help, Go to Start > Run, And type: "msconfig" hit enter. On the general tab you will see a button called "Expand File" So if you click that it will ask you the file name to restore, you can also browse for it, and then where to restore from, try restoring it from your XP Cd and see if you have any luck, You may need to select where it saves the backup file, gewd luck ;)

Get Winhex free off the internet. Use it to examine the $MFT of your drive searching for the filename in the MFT.

When you find the relevant entry it will give you the cluster number of where the file was stored. You can then go to that area on the disk and copy it out from there.

Back