Helath care,My kids,My right's?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a daughter who has just turned 3 she has an ongoing health problem were she can not go to the tiolet for a pooh she stands there in agony crosses her legs and basicaly stops it coming out as though it is very painfull.

This started last year aroundseptember time and we have been to the doctors loads and loads with her. We get the same old make her eat fruit veg fibre rich foods etc.

We have also had 2 different laxatives for her both have been a short term fix really they work while she is taking it soon as she is off it she cant go again. They make her go but it is always a tiny amount.

Now the thing with laxatives is that they can be harmfull if taking for too long so we cant keep using it as a short term fix. We have rang nhs direct they gave me the same advice as the doctors with what to give her to eat etc and what not to give her too.

and here we are again she is in agony and the wife and i have decided to take her in to the gp unit at our hospital tonight and get this sorted i am sick of being turned away and being told do this give her that come back in 2 weeks. she is 3 year old and should not be having to suffer like she is.

SO the point to this thread is i want to know my rights can i demand the hospital carry out some tests i mean i suspect there is somthing else wrong because it appears like it is agony for her to go i dont think it is just the fact that she isnt eating right we have 3 home cooked meals a week (sunday roast type) she is also not eating properly because of it as she is obviously bloated.

Can i demand she be tested/examened what are my rights for health care for her i do not just want to be told the same now and have to come away with the same old give her this make her eat that because we have been doing it for months.

I am not prepared to let her suffer anymore she is due to start nursery after feb half term and she wont be able to go if she cant go to the toilet properly.

Well if they refuse to refer you (which is becoming more and more common now that it actually costs the practice to refer a patient), firstly explain to the GP on the next visit, that if he/she does not refer you, you will go to casualty (and continue to go until tests have been run). It costs them when a patient goes to casualty too. Also, I would ask for the practice managers details, and the person to complain to at the local PCT.

Failing that go to your local MPs surgery.

Believe me, If you come across calm and collected (and more importantly) determined, they will have to act.

I work in Health, and hear more and more stories of GPs failing to act, as they have to manage their own budget. Unfortunately, doing nothing is the cheapest option.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep whinging.

Hope you daughter gets well soon.

Sounds like some sort of obstructive problem with the digestive system mate, there are many illnesses/diseases associated with this type of symptom as well.... although can just be a case of lazy digestion.

If I were you, and she is in agony. Take her to A+E, they might give her something to "relieve" her... and probably do a scan- mri or maybe a more in depth scan using different drinks and dies etc.

Make it clear to the doctor/nurse at hospital that she is in pain, and all the time. They have to make her comfortable... its their job.

what is the outcome of her eating fruits etc ? dates, figs etc

Does it cause her a lot of pain ?

Hope that helps mate

Well if they refuse to refer you (which is becoming more and more common now that it actually costs the practice to refer a patient), firstly explain to the GP on the next visit, that if he/she does not refer you, you will go to casualty (and continue to go until tests have been run). It costs them when a patient goes to casualty too. Also, I would ask for the practice managers details, and the person to complain to at the local PCT.

Failing that go to your local MPs surgery.

Believe me, If you come across calm and collected (and more importantly) determined, they will have to act.

I work in Health, and hear more and more stories of GPs failing to act, as they have to manage their own budget. Unfortunately, doing nothing is the cheapest option.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep whinging.

Hope you daughter gets well soon.

Thanks for the reply mozr and you are absolutly right it's all about the cost my gp surgery is more concerned about training student doctors and making you wait for hours to see one only to then have to wait for hours again to see a fully trained gp to be told yeah just carry on as you are.

Lat time we took her roughly a fortnight ago she was terrified of him because she knows he is gonna press her belly and it hurts. clung to me like glue bless her.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sounds like some sort of obstructive problem with the digestive system mate, there are many illnesses/diseases associated with this type of symptom as well.... although can just be a case of lazy digestion.

If I were you, and she is in agony. Take her to A+E, they might give her something to "relieve" her... and probably do a scan- mri or maybe a more in depth scan using different drinks and dies etc.

Make it clear to the doctor/nurse at hospital that she is in pain, and all the time. They have to make her comfortable... its their job.

what is the outcome of her eating fruits etc ? dates, figs etc

Does it cause her a lot of pain ?

Hope that helps mate

Well this is the thing m8 as soon as its time to go she stands there shaking her face goes bright red and eventualy she starts crying. she goes mental if you try to talk to her or go near her.

She also has leakage which is like a watery liquid with real tiny grainy bits of pooh and the smell is just awfulll m8. This ofc also reults in a sore bottom.

I am at the stage now were i feel like im failing her as a parent but also feel like my hands are tied and im being passed between pillar and post.

It's cruel they shouldnt allow a 3 year old to suffer fior this long and perhaps i should of got tougher before now. :(

though my daughter wasn't a health problem when she was same age she didn't go for days till we found out that Liquorice is a mild laxative and she used to eat the Liquorice sticks and they worked for her .
might help mate why you try and get things sorted.
Hope alls well

If the GP is just giving you the nuge mate just keep taking her to A&E they will help her better there, And cause shes a kid you'll get priority as well ;)

So should i skip the gp unit and go to a+e i mean it's not an accident or an emergency really wont they just tell me to go to my doctor?

Well this is the thing m8 as soon as its time to go she stands there shaking her face goes bright red and eventualy she starts crying. she goes mental if you try to talk to her or go near her.

She also has leakage which is like a watery liquid with real tiny grainy bits of pooh and the smell is just awfulll m8. This ofc also reults in a sore bottom.

I am at the stage now were i feel like im failing her as a parent but also feel like my hands are tied and im being passed between pillar and post.

It's cruel they shouldnt allow a 3 year old to suffer fior this long and perhaps i should of got tougher before now. :(

From what you have said there mate, take her to A+E now. Call me if you like mate, will pm you my number.

Sargie sorry to hear this about your wee one.

Exactly the same thing happened to my 2 year old grandaughter.
You could be describing what it was like last year for her.

We were looking after her for the night when she started screaming and holding her tummy, then in the morning she did the wettest and biggest poo I've ever seen. She was terrified.

A little while later my daughter took her on holiday to Spain, where she got chickenpox. That's when the problem with her not wanting to do toilet started. She behaved just like your daughter. It continued when they got home and it was pitiful to see her in such distress.

The doctor prescribed laxitives and suppositories (which I think made it worse)

My theory was that she had a chickenpox spot on or near her back passage which must have hurt when doing a poo and so decided for herself that she wasn't gonna do it.

I pressured my daughter to make the doctor give a proper examination to the area. He said there's nothing there.(but maybe not now there isn't but the thought must still be in the babe's mind)

I also thought that the wet poo earlier had frightened her in the same way.

This went on for a few months. She seems fine now.

It is frightening to see them in agony. I know exactly how you feel.

Can you think of anything that may have frightened your little girl previously?

try giving her pure orange juice mate also satsumas. i remember when i ate about 10 satsumas 1 after the other and i deeply regret it as i couldnt get of the bog for some time lol, i was about 14, maybe younger, but now i dont touch the things lol.

worth a try matey.

So should i skip the gp unit and go to a+e i mean it's not an accident or an emergency really wont they just tell me to go to my doctor?

Hi Sargie, sorry to hear about your daughter.

My daughter who is now 6 went through exactly the same thing when she was 2 & in the end we gave up going to the docs & took her straight up to our A & E & they where really good, took her down to give her x rays & really looked after her, we kept taking her back about every 6 months for a check up at the hospital for about 2 years & she is fine now but still fussy with what she eats.

Hope all goes well with your daughter

Hi guys firstly thanks for all the replys.

Just back from the hospital we went to a+e and they turned us away sent us straight to the gp unit.

But we got a really nice doctor that really gave her a thorough examination listened to us etc.

He said he can feel it backed up on the left side (my gp said it wasnt backed up)

He also said the same thing though and has given us movicol to mix with water or juice to get her cleaned out.

We have to give her 4 sachets tommorow mixed in a litre of water/juice and get her to drink that throughout the day. he said that should get her cleaned out if not try 6 the next day and 8 the next but no more after that.

Then once it's moving to get her on 1 sachet per day every day for the course of the stuff. He then recomended prune juice which we have just bought her from asda and bonus is she really likes it so she is drinking it. Also high fibre foods etc.

And pipsqueaker he said the same as you that she has gotten in a vicious circle of telling her self it hurts when she goes so to hold it in till it goes away which then causes more problems.

And he said that we need to break the cycle get her regular and so she isnt frightened to go.

I hope this sorts it as we have been here before but we didnt give her a high volume in the first place like this doctor has presribed.

Thanks once again to everyone for your replys and support means allot.

Going by the experience of my grandaughter, no matter what remedies have been advised on this thread and no matter what the doctor's say, if your daughter tries to hold it in none will work.

No matter how distressing it is to you and your wife I would implore you to be patient with her and support her. If you try to cajole her she will get even more upset.

It was a slow process with our little one, she wouldn't even get in the bath in case she had an 'accident'.

Thankfully she is OK now and I hope your babe gets over it soon.

I hope it's nothing serious sargie. Don't forgot the tummy rubs go get some circulation going in the stomach area.

I have a daughter who has just turned 3 she has an ongoing health problem were she can not go to the tiolet for a pooh she stands there in agony crosses her legs and basicaly stops it coming out as though it is very painfull.

This started last year aroundseptember time and we have been to the doctors loads and loads with her. We get the same old make her eat fruit veg fibre rich foods etc.

We have also had 2 different laxatives for her both have been a short term fix really they work while she is taking it soon as she is off it she cant go again. They make her go but it is always a tiny amount.

Now the thing with laxatives is that they can be harmfull if taking for too long so we cant keep using it as a short term fix. We have rang nhs direct they gave me the same advice as the doctors with what to give her to eat etc and what not to give her too.

and here we are again she is in agony and the wife and i have decided to take her in to the gp unit at our hospital tonight and get this sorted i am sick of being turned away and being told do this give her that come back in 2 weeks. she is 3 year old and should not be having to suffer like she is.

SO the point to this thread is i want to know my rights can i demand the hospital carry out some tests i mean i suspect there is somthing else wrong because it appears like it is agony for her to go i dont think it is just the fact that she isnt eating right we have 3 home cooked meals a week (sunday roast type) she is also not eating properly because of it as she is obviously bloated.

Can i demand she be tested/examened what are my rights for health care for her i do not just want to be told the same now and have to come away with the same old give her this make her eat that because we have been doing it for months.

I am not prepared to let her suffer anymore she is due to start nursery after feb half term and she wont be able to go if she cant go to the toilet properly.

i had this with my wee girl m8. we were given movicol and lactulose, and some other brown muck(the name escapes me). my wee girl was to blame, we went through the same as u. the gp kept giving us the same prescriptions to help her go. the problem turned out to be my wee girl(similiar to yours) who was too frightened to go. apparently kids get bunged up from time to time cos of food is still new to their bodies. the first time they get a hard poo and have to strain, there wee minds say WHOA **** THAT!!!!! then the next time they need to pooh, they hold it in, hence the shaking and tears. they fight with the urge of nature as they think its going to hurt(its a kid thing). however, if u give the kid loadssssssssss of veg and fruit its harder for the body to hold back(if u know what i mean) along with the medicine and senna(hey i remembered) then the kids wee brain eventually says this is ok. trust me if there is no blockage(the docs can tell btw) then your kid will heal itself. honestly my wee girls constipation was in the head.

btw it got so bad we had to take her to hospital and get a powerful laxitive, analy and oraly. thats not pretty(seen the exorcist?????). its all in the childs head if there is no bowel obstuction.

ps.

my wee girl is now fine she can go like her dad,(on cue). she also boasts of how much it reeks lol. it took about six months of medicine to get her going without strain and about six months of boasting.

"hoi da!, dont go in there big man, unless you are bursting!!!!"

i get this a lot!!!!!!

any help i can give PM me.

stef

Back