Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

heatgun fix, liquid flux or not

yeah defo report bk m8 be nice to see if it works for you and whether it was me who has done something wrong,

I know I am the odd one out here but I don't see how using flux which will make the solder flow uncontrollably can be a good thing !?

I mean try soldering a joint in copper without flux and see the difference it makes.

I just dont see it

:~

Well looks like the old box didn't last out for me so will be having a go using the solder/flux tonight when i get in.

I did cheat the last timed and only heat gunned the bottom of the board and then when it was still giving me E74 i then just blasted the heatsinks as i could not be bothered to take them off and heatgun the chips.

I'll pull it apart the night and get some of the solder/flux on and get it heat blasted this time on both sides of the board.

Things been mint for the past 2 weeks or so that's why i sold me working one.....doh!

ok stripped her all down again and didn't have the cahooners to use the flux yet, so blasted the cpu and the gpu again for about 4 minutes (not all at once of course but like the vid in the previuos pages and done it in a circular movement around and around and back and forth) and she's alive and working, for how long i have no idea....but the next time she will be getting the flux treatment as that's the only thig that box hasn't had yet.

I had a go at this on Sunday and followed this video for putting the flux on...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2R_NqF5wAc[/ame]

It worked like a dream, as I made sure there was no excess flux on the board, just dripped it slowly under the chips... Then fired away with the heat gun10 mins later (including cooldown time) and I fitted it all back together and I had 2 working perfect 360's....

My 360 has died again recently. Done the xclamp fix and that only fixed it for a couple of months, so think it's time to try the heat gun method. Will buy some of the flux stuff on the bay tonight although I'm off on my hols on Sunday so not sure when I'll get time to actually do it.

any updates on the flux testing dibbers? :)

Got my first 'proper' attempt at a possible jtaggable box coming up soon - so desperate to not mess this one up :D

well i have a jtag box here that has xex menu and i need to get it working agian, (E74)so have fixed another box and that's working but haven't got the balls to give it a go with flux as dont want to mess it up... so will heat gun it the same way i done the other one and report back, if it dont work then flux it is....

Did you try the flux dibbers?,i'm going to try my first attempt at heatgunning soon and wondering if i need this flux or not ,is this the method your using.
1. strip and clean the chips to mirror like finish.
2.place a couple of sockets over the 2 chips and blast for about 30- 40 seconds allow to cool.
3.heat the bottom of board for around 4 mins.( on the move )
4. heat the top of board for around 4 mins.( on the move )
5.leave for about 6 hours.
6 paste the chips with arctic 5 ,fit the heatsinks then hope for the best.
Am i missing anything lol.
the gun i have has 2 settings 300c and 500c do i use the 300 setting?

Did you try the flux dibbers?,i'm going to try my first attempt at heatgunning soon and wondering if i need this flux or not ,is this the method your using.

Haven't tried the flux yet mate as all the repairs have worked with out it.

1. strip and clean the chips to mirror like finish.
yes

2.place a couple of sockets over the 2 chips and blast for about 30- 40 seconds allow to cool.

Don't bother with this if your going to heat the board on both sides for four minutes concentrating on the chips (be carefull though don't point it at the chips for more than a few seconds)

3.heat the bottom of board for around 4 mins.( on the move )

Yes working on the main chips but note above not pointing at one place for more than a few seconds

4. heat the top of board for around 4 mins.( on the move )

Yes working on the main chips but note above not pointing at one place for more than a few seconds

5.leave for about 6 hours.

(2 hours has been enough for me or aslong as the board is cold)

6 paste the chips with arctic 5 ,fit the heatsinks then hope for the best.
Am i missing anything lol.
the gun i have has 2 settings 300c and 500c do i use the 300 setting

i'd use 300c settings for now, and let the gun heat up before pointing it at the board as it may take a minute to reach full potential if you get me.

The RROD i think is important as well, i use the kit with the spring washers and nylon washers, haven't had a failed one yet

remember when tightening the screws or bolts don't over tighten them and do it like an engine so opposite sides and then when you feel them pinch then a tiny tiny ! little turn!

Last edited:
Cheers Dibbers,I have that kit with the spring washers and nylons so just waiting on some arctic 5 getting here, then im good to go.fingers crossed m8.

Back