Sensible Topic Hearing affected by gun shots

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
Was at my friend's family farm on Sunday and was shooting a few of his dads guns.

Its left me with a ringing in my ears. I thought it would have cleared up by now being tuesday but no joy.

Is there anything i can do, how long should i wait before calling tje doctor

I don't think there is anything you or the doctor can do
should wear ear protection
Just hope it goes away or call 111 a see what they say

Sounds like Tinnitus. Hopefully it's not.

I have had tinnitus for about nearly ten years now in both ears and have learned to live with it as there is no cure for it🙄
A friend of mine was at do a few years ago and was sat near a large speaker for the evening. The next day he noticed he had ringing in one of his ears and it has never gone away.
Only time will tell if it clears up and hopefully it will.

Is there nothing to help it?
Its thursday now and still not away.
I will need to get a hearing aid, im struggling to hear people talking to me especially at work lol

There are some things you can do if it is quite severe.

I've had tinnitus a number of years now in my left ear. Both times were loud noise induced. The first time it happened my ear recovered after about 1 year. The second time it has never recovered and I have had a hiss in my ear for the last 17 months. I've learnt to live with it. The first few months are tough, and some days it is worse than others.

I'm sure the first time it happened I had ringing for about 1 week, and then it changed to a high pitched whistle, so it may calm down. You need to give your ear recovery time and make sure you protect your ears from further loud noises

Once you do damage to your ears/eyes thats it

Once you do damage to your ears/eyes thats it

I don't think that's totally accurate. It depends on the level of damage. I have recovered from Tinnitus before.

It depends on if the hair cells are broken or bent. If the are broken then yes it is permanent damage

I don't think that's totally accurate. It depends on the level of damage. I have recovered from Tinnitus before.

It depends on if the hair cells are broken or bent. If the are broken then yes it is permanent damage
I have had Tinnitus all my life

I've had mild tinnitus for as long as I can remember, usually the hight frequency 'hissing' but often low frequency too, like someone outside has an engine running. I only hear the latter one at night when there are no other sounds, it drove me daft for a while because I thought it was something in the house like a fridge motor or something, I even killed the power to the house once to try & isolate it. Then when it still happened at a friend's house the penny dropped.
My 'solution' is to reduce daytime general noise by popping some tissue into my ears. I can still hear everything (I want to lol!) then take them out at night. By now my ears are a bit more sensitive and more inclined to hear real background noise which reduces the prevalance of the tinnitus. Crude, but mildly effective. And, unlike expensive ear buds, if you lose them they're not exactly expensive to replace!
I suspect my ears were damaged in my teenage night-clubbing days - not just the loud music but also trying to converse over it. Oh and maybe a JJ Burnell concert which is possibly the loudest event I've ever been to.

Similar to mine. I have a hissing which I can best describe as an electric sparkle or sizzle in my left ear. Initial damage was caused by a loud concert. Second, more permanent damage was caused when I had microsuction on my ear for wax.

I have found that sound can make it worse, but I also use sound as a distraction at night, so I can't win really

Back