Has anybody brought a Boxee Box?

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
So the new Boxee Box ships today.

Has anybody brought one?

I've an Xtreamer which is a pile of crap so want something else, torn between a revo XBMC and a Boxee.

I like the fact the latter is pretty much good to go out the box but loath the fact you can't manually change the artwork but xbmc is such a pain in the the butt to set up perfectly.

If anybody has brought one I would love to hear your views???

Cheers in advance

Xtreamer a pile of crap...pmsl, I love true opinions.

I actually have 2 xtreamers and 1 xtreamer pro and I am very happy.

XMBC is the best media centre ever and I doubt it will ever be toppled from that spot. There are skins/themes which make it look outstanding.

As regards your question... I have seen the boxee and it looks quite good, revo you know about but there are others coming out soon...google tv is released and looks good but tbh...it really takes the end user to have it to know if it would suit them. IF you believe everything they say then you would buy every product...I am sure you know what I mean ms2005...the XT promised stuff ages ago which it still doesnt have but I am hopeful firmware 2.5 will go a long way to helping it advance.

XBMC is not so bad. its only nfs shares and lirc that take figuring out. nothing a few clicks on an ftp proggy and a bit of good old copy and paste cant sort out. Its a darn slight easyer than mythtv thats for sure.

Im sure there is enough xbmc'ers here to get you going. Alternatvly I can just upload an iso of my current 100% working acer revo r3610 image for you to install ;)

i must say i have owned a few - revo xmbc/xtreamer/western digital/wdtv live but the best one i have had has been the xtreamer pro, no problems with any files and great connectivity ie 2 1tb hard drives plus esata and usb

Sorry just moved house and only jst got back online.

Thanks for the replies.

The reasons I don't like the xtreamer are numerous but predominantly the lack of promised features and the remote.

Whilst you can't thank the opensource team enough for the new xtreamering it still doesn't do what i want it to and on the XT v1 it's soo slow to browse movies it's painful, not to mention all the data scraped is stored on the etray not on the local hdd which really annoys me and TV/photo, a year on, still hasn't happened.

I've jut had enough of it really, if u want a basic streamer that will play what you chuck at it then this is it but if you want any form of UI, look elsewhere.

Re selling, I probably will when I get something else sorted, would probably depend on what it's worth. I it's peanuts I may as well whack it in the bedroom.

Think I'm drawn towards the new r3700 so as to be future proof and just spend the time getting it going but it's all academic until the new year as I'm skint.

Cheers for the input

Back